Six Flags and Cedar Fair Merge

23 minutes ago, SmartCat7162 said:

I will be interested in seeing how large capital invests go from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually had an interesting thought about that. I might be jumping the gun here a bit, so keep in-mind that this is only a thought as of now so it's up to you whether or not you want to take it seriously.

If ride additions continue to be more consistent with the Cedar Fair model as opposed to Six Flags model, then this could be huge for the larger Six Flags parks like Magic Mountain and Great Adventure. I'm actually curious as to whether or not that giga coaster that was planned for Knotts Berry Farm a while back ends up getting moved to Magic Mountain. Sounds crazy, I know, but if it is true that the Cedar Fair part of the company is going to be mostly responsible for the new ride additions, then it may very well happen. I'm not as familiar with Magic Mountain or any other Six Flags park for that matter, but it does appear that they have the land for a good-sized giga. Noise complaints and height restrictions shouldn't be an issue either, which is important to note since the Knotts giga was indeed put on hold because of the neighborhood that park resides in. Maybe I'm completely wrong on this though, we just need more time to really see how this pads out for the parks.

• Like 1

Remember, the LA area also has:

Dodgers and Angels (MLB)

Kings and Ducks (NHL)

Lakers and Clippers (NBA)

Rams and Chargers (NFL)

Having the two theme parks still there shouldn't be an issue. I think the key there is to make the two parks distinct, as Snoopy should stay at Knotts for example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The part of this that gives me any hope is that, this time around, it's Cedar Fair looking to acquire Six Flags.  They're keeping Sandusky and Charlotte corporate offices, Zimmerman is (for now, for better or worse) sticking around, presumably they're keeping CFEC P&D and corporate culture.  Remains to be seen how well the two integrate in regards to culture, of course.  Yes, the (initial) board will be split between the two merging entities, but the board is more responsible for the general direction of the company and approving capex plans whereas management is more responsible for operations and planning.

Wish they weren't planning on taking the name, but hopefully they're smart enough not to throw it on the legacy CFEC parks.  Each park having its own identity is beneficial to the parks, IMHO.  It also makes it clearer that the rides and attractions at one park in the chain may be wildly different from another.  If there were Six Flags Over Michigan and Six Flags Over Sandusky, one might expect a similar experience.  It's generally understood that Cedar Point and Michigan's Adventure are not at the same scale, however.

• Like 2

The part of this that gives me any hope is that, this time around, it's Cedar Fair looking to acquire Six Flags.  They're keeping Sandusky and Charlotte corporate offices, Zimmerman is (for now, for better or worse) sticking around, presumably they're keeping CFEC P&D and corporate culture.  Remains to be seen how well the two integrate in regards to culture, of course.  Yes, the (initial) board will be split between the two merging entities, but the board is more responsible for the general direction of the company and approving capex plans whereas management is more responsible for operations and planning.
Wish they weren't planning on taking the name, but hopefully they're smart enough not to throw it on the legacy CFEC parks.  Each park having its own identity is beneficial to the parks, IMHO.  It also makes it clearer that the rides and attractions at one park in the chain may be wildly different from another.  If there were Six Flags Over Michigan and Six Flags Over Sandusky, one might expect a similar experience.  It's generally understood that Cedar Point and Michigan's Adventure are not at the same scale, however.

I read a release they said that current parks would not be adopting the Six Flags name if I read it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, jsus said:

They should change their company name to Cedar Flags.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So a major SIX shareholder opposes, but do they have enough shares...could this be interpreted as they think the land itself is worth more as something else than a park and should just sell off underperforming parks to developers.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231102687497/en/Significant-Six-Flags-Shareholder-Land-Buildings-Issues-Statement-on-the-Company’s-Proposed-Merger-with-Cedar-Fair?fbclid=IwAR0JC09AOH2kxbq0SzwmFCiV51PN9hN44GNH1XBDlFsYCWRomXXqgXGk9us

• Like 4

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

I know this would hurt both companies but for the future of the parks, please have this merger to fall through. 

• Like 2

I know this would hurt both companies but for the future of the parks, please have this merger to fall through. 

I get the sentiment but if it fell through and this group buys up more shares. Then Six Flags could just get sold off to developers because that would give more money to the shareholders. Which would obviously destroy the parks. So I’ve changed my tune on the merger.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

So a major SIX shareholder opposes, but do they have enough shares...could this be interpreted as they think the land itself is worth more as something else than a park and should just sell off underperforming parks to developers.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20231102687497/en/Significant-Six-Flags-Shareholder-Land-Buildings-Issues-Statement-on-the-Company’s-Proposed-Merger-with-Cedar-Fair?fbclid=IwAR0JC09AOH2kxbq0SzwmFCiV51PN9hN44GNH1XBDlFsYCWRomXXqgXGk9us

Dude this reports like Six Flags gonna be going through chapter 11 and liquidating real estate if CF does not merge.

Also yeah that company owns 3% of SF stock. They also in a 12/2022 article talk about wanting the chain to sell off land and believe the land is worth more than the company.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, AintNutinElse2Do said:

I get the sentiment but if it fell through and this group buys up more shares. Then Six Flags could just get sold off to developers because that would give more money to the shareholders. Which would obviously destroy the parks. So I’ve changed my tune on the merger.

It could happen under CF...just look at CGA as that is essentially what happened. 

• Like 1

There is NEVER a such thing as a "merger" no matter what bull**** line of sunshine they blow at people.  I've been at companies that have been bought and sold and supposedly "merged"... Someone is ALWAYS buying the other. 

Cedar Fair has BOUGHT Six Flags. PERIOD.  

New name (for whatever reason) is Six Flags.

Bloomberg website says Cedar Fair bought Six Flags for 1.9 billion.

• Like 7

I have a fairly pessimistic outlook. Two large companies- one with a history of financial woes and the other with a recent spat of financial difficulty combining... what could go wrong here?

AOL, Time Warner, & Turner Broadcasting had a good thing going.... until they didn't less than a year after the merger; all of which became corporate afterthoughts. 

• Like 1

It's always sunshine and rainbows until the merged company realizes they don't really need all those things they said they wanted. I'm not sure anyone is excited about this merger except the old rich investors that don't actually use the parks.

2025, the year after this proposal is expected to be closed will be an interesting year in what will be offered and delivered. We seem to have a lot of fun here dumping on CF on their bait and switch processes and it seems SIX is known for being cheap. I'm just hoping my kids will be tall enough to ride all the rides before major changes happen and I have to start telling them we're dropping the memberships.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Since this appears to be a merger, it would be good if the parks could remain belonging to their family.

When I was very young, Costco and The Price Club merged, and suddenly you could use your Costco membership at Price Club. What’s important is that for at least 5 years there was a separate brand of Costco and a separate brand of Price Club.

I presume when it comes to IP and overall feel to the parks that most of that would most likely remain the same. Retheming is expensive, and pointless for the little theming rides have in the first place.

Maybe 20 years ago, the Looney Tunes were a stronger brand than Peanuts, but I’m presuming most kids nowadays are kind of clueless about Looney Tunes. If I recall, ABC stopped showing Bugs and Tweety way back in 2002. Furthermore, Saturday morning cartoons and my personal nostalgic favourite, the before and after school programming blocks on FOX and WB (also there was Global TV here in Canada)

Detective Comics, they’ve been has beens pretty much since the 90s when the X Men cartoon first aired and Marvel became an unstoppable force.

• Confused 1

The biggest thing I am concerned about is the mention in the report about all the possibilities of the new IPs. I would absolutely hate to see DC themes come to Kings Island in any form. I would easily rather have a Kinzel-era unthemed rollercoaster installed than a rollercoaster themed to DC.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The biggest thing I am concerned about is the mention in the report about all the possibilities of the new IPs. I would absolutely hate to see DC themes come to Kings Island in any form. I would easily rather have a Kinzel-era unthemed rollercoaster installed than a rollercoaster themed to DC.

Agreed 100%. If it all becomes DC garbage with poor theming I’m swearing off of KI. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MisterSG1 said:

Maybe 20 years ago, the Looney Tunes were a stronger brand than Peanuts, but I’m presuming most kids nowadays are kind of clueless about Looney Tunes. If I recall, ABC stopped showing Bugs and Tweety way back in 2002. Furthermore, Saturday morning cartoons and my personal nostalgic favourite, the before and after school programming blocks on FOX and WB (also there was Global TV here in Canada)

The Looney Tunes unfortunately lost their luster in the 2000s imo. Peanuts are more timeless and I argue more family friendly- there’s certainly aspects of the Looney Tunes that have become somewhat dated. DC has kinda flopped because their live action films have no direction. There was a time when Warner Brothers dominated and Looney Tunes and DC both thrived but those times have passed. I don’t think it would be wise to implement their IPs across the chain, maybe select parks as testing grounds.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I would probably expect DC and Looney Tunes to at least have merchandise sold at the park, either through select stores or as game prizes. Not as likely, but I could also see a new Looney Tunes area, adding to Kings Island's already-impressive kids areas. (Ideally, Planet Snoopy and Camp Snoopy would remain unchanged) I think adding IPs to kids areas is fine, since they add a sense of familiarity for children and parents who are already exposed to these brands and characters. As for DC, I do agree that we shouldn't have any rides or areas themed strictly to DC. Kings Island has done a great job recently when it comes to original theming, and I feel moving away from that to focus on tacky superhero themes would spit in the faces of rides like Mystic Timbers and Orion.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

The Looney Tunes unfortunately lost their luster in the 2000s imo. Peanuts are more timeless and I argue more family friendly- there’s certainly aspects of the Looney Tunes that have become somewhat dated. DC has kinda flopped because their live action films have no direction. There was a time when Warner Brothers dominated and Looney Tunes and DC both thrived but those times have passed. I don’t think it would be wise to implement their IPs across the chain, maybe select parks as testing grounds.

That arguably happened because the Looney Tunes were not as easily accessible as they once were thanks to Federal Government regulations on Children's Programming known as E/I. In a nut shell, E/I was the main reason why the Saturday Morning Cartoon blocks disappeared.

So eliminate the ease of seeing the Looney Tunes on TV, and there you have it, kids don't know who the Looney Tunes are anymore. The Looney Tunes were seen every weekend for over 40 years on ABC up until 2002 in the many variants of the show that ultimately came to be known as "Bugs and Tweety" in its final years. On top of that, in the 90s in those before and after school blocks on WB Network, one of the shows shown was "Merrie Melodies" which showed 3 shorts in a half hour. In Canada, Global TV showed "Bugs and Tweety" at 5pm on Saturdays, 

I'm not sure if I agree that Peanuts is a stronger IP than Looney Tunes, I always see them as even nowadays. 

If the Looney Tunes are dated, does this mean the classic shorts made over at Disney, starring the character we all know are dated as well. Think about it, just hearing the word "Disney" makes you think of a certain character does it not?

I mean Looney tunes has a newish show on HBO max (ended last fall?) and tiny tunes just came back on air plus my kids and their friends watched the heck out of space jam…. My kids are 10, 7, 3….  Are they as famous as they were? No.  But outside of the peanuts movie every now and then and the holiday specials my kids don’t seek out Peanuts … 

also are we kidding on the DC ip?  Every kid knows the big 3

• Thanks 1

At this point it’s up in the air which IP they plan on keeping. CF had the opportunity to keep the Nickelodeon IP yet they opted with keeping PEANUTS only.

I can’t picture the merger company keeping both IP’s it’s redundant and probably not worth the additional cost.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shark6495 said:

I mean Looney tunes has a newish show on HBO max (ended last fall?) and tiny tunes just came back on air plus my kids and their friends watched the heck out of space jam…. My kids are 10, 7, 3….  Are they as famous as they were? No.  But outside of the peanuts movie every now and then and the holiday specials my kids don’t seek out Peanuts … 

also are we kidding on the DC ip?  Every kid knows the big 3

Which Space Jam are we talking about? That newer one or the one I grew up with Michael Jordan in 1996.

As for the Big Three, I honestly didn't know who Wonder Woman was growing up, and I still don't know what her superpower is.

Batman took a dark turn since 1989, I mean that animated series that starts with a bank robbery in the intro was a show I didn't like much as a kid for its darkness. Superman has always seemed lame to be honest, this is in contrast to Spider-Man or the X-Men.

I mean seriously, Halloween was 2 nights ago, how many Batmen or Supermen showed up at your door, compared to how many Spider-Men. That should settle it right there.

This is my piece. 
During Paramount’s era, we lost a few classics. 
If Six Flags decides to “fix” and/or remove more, ( i.e. The Beast, the K.I. & M.V. Railroad), then…..

I don’t even have the words. 

There isn’t anything else I can say which I feel hasn’t already been said better than I could. 

• Like 5