WCPO: Kings Island hints at major new roller coaster with survey

I would be very excited at the prospect of ANY of these options. However, I think I would be most interested in the Indoor/Outdoor Dark Coaster or the 300 ft Dive Drop. 

The Indoor/Outdoor ride could be placed in the Crypt building, which would be great. But I wonder how well that would work with Diamondback hanging over it (literally) and Mystic Timber close beside it as well. If they were to use outdoor space I would imagine they'd have it go out the back or something, cause there isnt much room on any other sides. 

The dive coaster would be a prime coaster to place where Vortex used to be. It could give life to the Coney Mall area. 

I know its not likely at all, but combining the two ideas? Could you imagine how thrilling a coaster that would be? 

Having you inside a tunnel of some sort until right when you drop 300 ft. Would be the coolest coaster ever in my book. But clearly structure wise I don't know if that could even work. 

Another good spot for the dive coaster would be where timberwolf theater/Invertigo/and congo falls are. would make for a GREAT skyline picture coming into the park. If they really wanted to do a throwback, they could have it somehow themed or referring to the old wild animal safari that used to be in that area. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't be mad at any of these options, if they ever came to be. I think a nice coaster similar to Big Bear Mountain at Dollywood in Vortex's old spot would be great. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DonHelbig said:

I wouldn't put much stock in this survey. Brands do these types of surveys all the time. 

If I had to pick between 4 rides and attractions to be the next additions at Kings Island it would be:

1) Ground up Titan-track coaster

2) Indoor coaster

3) Log flume

4) ProSlide water coaster

What would be your 4 picks?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

And in other WCPO news, an anchor familiar with the park will no longer be with WCPO to report on KI related stuff....

https://www.wvxu.org/media/2024-05-02/evan-millward-jasmine-styles-leaving-wcpo-tv-tvkiese

Evan Millward was one of the marketing interns at Kings Island in 2008, helping the park execute successful events like Robbie Knievel's motorcycle jump. 

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Stoan said:

Multi launch and dark ride 

Agreed. I definitely think that the biggest gap in our line up is a multi launch coaster. Both of our launch coasters only have one launch. After that gap is filled then we need a dark ride.

Edited by Orion742
Auto correct
  • Like 1

I don’t even want a new coaster right now. Since KI seems to be cutting costs and experiences around every corner (which doesn’t appear to be nearly as true at other Cedar Fair properties) we’ll see a smaller, shorter, blander version of whatever is out there. I think I’d be content waiting for the merger to give the park a personnel enema before I give any hope of a quality installation. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I don’t even want a new coaster right now. Since KI seems to be cutting costs and experiences around every corner (which doesn’t appear to be nearly as true at other Cedar Fair properties) we’ll see a smaller, shorter, blander version of whatever is out there. I think I’d be content waiting for the merger to give the park a personnel enema before I give any hope of a quality installation. 

I think it’s more noticeable assuming you frequent Kings Island more than any others in the chain.

However although my experience in park at CP didn’t seem much different. My experience staying overnight in their hotels was drastically different from the prior seasons.

Castaway bay was doing a ride rotation. Some of the slides never opened.

Breakers was operating skeleton crews to get rooms ready for guests. Imagine paying 300+ dollars a night and not getting to check in on time because the hotel didn’t have your room ready.

**Id also like to add Planet Snoopy at CP appeared as if it was on a ride rotation too.

Edited by Tr0y
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I think it’s more noticeable assuming you frequent Kings Island more than any others in the chain.

However although my experience in park at CP didn’t seem much different. My experience staying overnight in their hotels was drastically different from the prior seasons.

Castaway bay was doing a ride rotation. Some of the slides never opened.

Breakers was operating skeleton crews to get rooms ready for guests. Imagine paying 300+ dollars a night and not getting to check in on time because the hotel didn’t have your room ready.

**Id also like to add Planet Snoopy at CP appeared as if it was on a ride rotation too.

I’m more talking about the 3 week run of the show in the big theater….  things along those lines. Meanwhile, Carowinds keeps adding and adding to their music festival. They’re doubling down on something that Kings Island wasn’t competent enough to market while our park is barely meeting the status quo. 

Oh, and let’s not forget that they couldn’t handle the lofty concept of a chicken sandwich that they had marketed. :D

Some parks do what’s easy and some parks do what’s right. It’s up to the public to decided which side each park is on. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’m more talking about the 3 week run of the show in the big theater….  things along those lines. Meanwhile, Carowinds keeps adding and adding to their music festival. They’re doubling down on something that Kings Island wasn’t competent enough to market while our park is barely meeting the status quo. 

Oh, and let’s not forget that they couldn’t handle the lofty concept of a chicken sandwich that they had marketed. :D

Some parks do what’s easy and some parks do what’s right. It’s up to the public to decided which side each park is on. 

It’s the three week run of the outsourced bubble “toy trade show” show that gets me after the past few seasons of entertainment that was actually getting somewhere. The chicken sandwich thing is just laughably bad! 

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

It’s the three week run of the outsourced bubble “toy trade show” show that gets me after the past few seasons of entertainment that was actually getting somewhere. The chicken sandwich thing is just laughably bad! 

I believe there is a couple shows that are outsourced and it’s been that way for years.

Also the grilled chicken sandwiches were once sold at the Jukebox Dinner? I don’t recall them being popular.

On 5/2/2024 at 4:29 PM, KIBeast said:

I wouldn't be mad at any of these options, if they ever came to be. I think a nice coaster similar to Big Bear Mountain at Dollywood in Vortex's old spot would be great. 

After giving it some thought, I don't think The Vortex spot should be the top priority. Action Zone is in dire need of work. Everything over there except for Banshee is old.

Even though Big Bear Mountain, (or something similar as mentioned in the survey), pushes the outer limits of what a family coaster can be, it would not give them much in the way of marketing. Kings Island already has a strong group of family coasters (Racer, AE, Bat, BLSC).

In recent years they've lost two unique thrill coasters in a sit-down looping coaster (they now only have one) and a flying coaster. I know this point seems very "enthusiast-minded" but typical guests can tell when things get repetitive without knowing ride categories, manufacturers, or specs.

People here often get it backwards; the general public draws fewer distinction between rides than enthusiasts do not more.

Backlot and Big Bear Mountain would be very similar to them, just as Diamondback and Orion are nearly the same to them. It's not what a coaster is, it's how it feels. A 300 ft Dive coaster would be "like Orion" but you go upside-down a couple times".

If they go for a thrill coaster, the type should be something truly unique to the park. A spinning coaster especially with inversions would do that, a modern launching coaster could be that especially considering Flight of Fear's age.

If they go the family route you've got to do something different. A new dark ride in place of Boo Blasters is severely overdo. A large water ride along the lines of the old Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal could meet the bill, etc.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I believe there is a couple shows that are outsourced and it’s been that way for years.

Also the grilled chicken sandwiches were once sold at the Jukebox Dinner? I don’t recall them being popular.

JukeBox had grilled chicken sandwiches last weekend - didn't appear to be a big seller, even though they are marketed as delicious grilled chicken....

image.png

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, KI Guy said:

After giving it some thought, I don't think The Vortex spot should be the top priority. Action Zone is in dire need of work. Everything over there except for Banshee is old.

You’re right, but the amount of work needed in Action Zone is exactly why I would not touch it for now.  You can’t just drop a new ride and call it a day.  Decisions about the theme of the land, the remaining life span of the majority of the attractions, even the appearance of the entrance of the park, have to be made.  The problem is these kinds of decisions are likely exactly what Planning and Design does not want to do right before a merger.  There is a reason discussions about Action Zone and being rethemed to DC Comics keep occurring.

Want to work on a project that has a chance of happening if the merger goes through?  Vortex replacement or Tomb Raider replacement.  Neither one is as badly needed, but frankly if they do a grand redesign for Action Zone it’s extremely unlikely it would ever be built.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, disco2000 said:

JukeBox had grilled chicken sandwiches last weekend - didn't appear to be a big seller, even though they are marketed as delicious grilled chicken....

image.png

It was the double grilled chicken sandwich in the Brewhouse that was basically discontinued immediately after opening day.

It has been widely reported that the double grilled chicken sandwich at the Rivertown Brewhouse, which was advertised to be a new food item along with the Dining Plans, has been permanently removed from the menu due to popular demand. This appears to now be official. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

It was the double grilled chicken sandwich in the Brewhouse that was basically discontinued immediately after opening day.

It has been widely reported that the double grilled chicken sandwich at the Rivertown Brewhouse, which was advertised to be a new food item along with the Dining Plans, has been permanently removed from the menu due to popular demand. This appears to now be official. 

Oh I know that, but the park has had a grilled chicken sandwich at Juke Box for years; it isn't like the Brewhouse was the first attempt at offering a grilled chicken sandwich.  That was my point -  a grilled chicken sandwich is available in the park for those wanting that option and has been for years. It isn't like they completely removed a grilled chicken sandwich offering from the park when they decided to remove it from Brewhouse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kenban said:

You’re right, but the amount of work needed in Action Zone is exactly why I would not touch it for now.  You can’t just drop a new ride and call it a day....There is a reason discussions about Action Zone and being rethemed to DC Comics keep occurring.

That certainly could affect long term plans. There is definitely a case to not utilize that license which I could get into some other time.

• Like 2

As far as thrill coasters go, a swing launch  coaster with inversions would fill a couple missing gaps in Kings Island lineup.    While it’s highly doubtful, they get anything from Intamin, a Pantheon/Toutatis type coaster would be a great addition. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, super7 said:

As far as thrill coasters go, a swing launch in coaster with inversions would fill a couple missing gaps in Kings Island lineup.    While it’s highly doubtful, they get anything from Intamin, a Pantheon/Toutatis type coaster would be a great addition. 

I would like that, too. Not sure if Kings Island would go with a swing launch coaster though considering Cedar Point just added Top Thrill 2.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

I wonder if they'll convert Xcelerator to Zamperla LSM. It should be able to get full speed without needing a spike.

Maybe. The problem is Xcelerator's launch track is much shorter than Dragster's, and I'm not sure if there's enough room to put in an LSM launch that could get over that top hat. If they needed to, they could try to put some LSM's on the incline up the top hat. If they put in a spike like TT2, they will probably need to either remove or relocate Supreme Scream since that's located right behind Xcelerator's station.

Just like with Dragster, Xcelerator has been a constant maintenance nightmare for Knotts, and they're probably going to need to do something about it at some point in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Knotts currently has their eyes glued to TT2 to see how reliable it is.

• Like 2