Tower Gardens to close May 15 in preparation for an event

The park shared this interesting message on their Instagram story. It seems like tower gardens is going to be utilized for a future event. Could KI be getting a surprise new event after all? Or are they going to do early prep for Carnivale? (which isn't until late July btw). Idk, but this will be something interesting to watch. 

Screenshot_20240513-110704.png

• Like 2

Someone else suggested the ACE event being part of it, but I think that would be a level of foolish that event this current comms team couldn’t accomplish. 

You gonna Tweet out to hundreds of thousands of people about an event where 750 are invited?

Do you think they’re going to get a long line at guest services of people demanding refunds because they drove three hours to check out Tower Gardens?

Tower Gardens closes for a big part of the summer for Haunt and Winterfest prep. Do you see messaging like this for that?

This post was intended to stir up speculation and interest. What’s delivered remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Epcot does this event called the International Flower and Garden Festival. Personally I think something along the lines of that could fit here if KI wants to do something similar. Also Mike Koontz at Coasterstock last year said they're looking into potentially doing something in May and June. 

Link to Epcot festival:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/epcot-international-flower-and-garden-festival/

• Like 5

Interesting.  While the improvements in Tower Gardens were nice, it still seems like an underutilized area of the park.  Hopefully they do not destroy the charm of this area, and it is just for a special event.  If it was closer to Grand Carnivale, I could see them bringing in some food trucks to that area.  But that area is not really big enough for that.  Time will tell.  

• Like 2

Another thing I thought I'd mention is Canada's Wonderland is introducing a new Food and Wine Festival that will run on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays in June. I think something like that could work in and around Tower Gardens, the Tower, and the Carousel. Also probably doesn't mean anything, but if you look in the background on the festival page they have Orion instead of Leviathan lol

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/events/food-and-wine-festival

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Do you think they’re going to get a long line at guest services of people demanding refunds because they drove three hours to check out Tower Gardens?

I'm normally in agreement about your disdain for park communications.  But in my opinion, inflammatory statements like this make you look petty.

Do you really think that a bunch of people would drive three hours to look at a sign saying the area was closed? Or are you just expressing your thoughts that the KI team are idiots? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Love the idea of a food and wine type festival in Tower Gardens. I’d love to be able sit there with some wine. One of the most beautiful areas of the park. 

Plus it would be an easy area to block off for a wine tasting area so only those 21+ can go in there. They could then have the food/family activities around the tower/carousel area. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm normally in agreement about your disdain for park communications.  But in my opinion, inflammatory statements like this make you look petty.

Do you really think that a bunch of people would drive three hours to look at a sign saying the area was closed? Or are you just expressing your thoughts that the KI team are idiots? 

No, I’m saying that it would be absurd to think that someone would do that and/or make that argument. So, for example, if they were going to close Orion for some reason, it would constitute a post like this, but TG isn’t exactly an attraction that sells tickets. That’s why I’m pretty certain that this is intentional as a teaser for something rather than an FYI. Sorry if I wasn’t clear with my post. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

My question....why did they even bother "setting it up" to only close it on the first day of daily operations? 

Like TT2? :P

• Haha 2

What about Slingshot that was painted in the off-season and didn't open again and was removed?  Or repainting aerial chase over less than what 2-3 years?  

Same could be said about those, or countless other items.  Sometimes stuff happens or situations change.

Opening up Tower Gardens was a lot cheaper than those examples lol.

But people demanded transparency from the KI Team and when finally provided with a proactive announcement they then complain when they get it LOL.... I assure you people would be here complaining Wednesday on the closure and that the KI Team should have made an announcement for a closure outside of the typical closure period LOL...

I guess we will find out soon enough if this is ACE related or a teaser for an unannounced event...

• Like 5

9 hours ago, disco2000 said:

What about Slingshot that was painted in the off-season and didn't open again and was removed?  Or repainting aerial chase over less than what 2-3 years?  

Same could be said about those, or countless other items.  Sometimes stuff happens or situations change.

Opening up Tower Gardens was a lot cheaper than those examples lol.

But people demanded transparency from the KI Team and when finally provided with a proactive announcement they then complain when they get it LOL.... I assure you people would be here complaining Wednesday on the closure and that the KI Team should have made an announcement for a closure outside of the typical closure period LOL...

I guess we will find out soon enough if this is ACE related or a teaser for an unannounced event...

Maybe on here, but the average public wouldn’t bat an eye at it being closed. Hence, this is essentially an announcement of an announcement for all intents and purposes. Im not sure if this is a great example of transparency, given the context. 

I wonder if it has something to do with camp Snoopy.  The construction appears to be finishing up and there was the ad saying it’s opening the 25th.  Typically camp Snoopy at other parks has included water features of some kind, and I was surprised to not see any, maybe it’s going in tower gardens instead.  Rock work of some kind?  Maybe a company working on Camp Snoopy that could be also doing a project in tower gardens?

ACE is at the park this weekend… could they be presenting a new plaque?  The park might be setting up for it in advance to be unveiled this weekend?

A paver or sign with details on the 2024 season is being installed that includes something not announced yet?  Replacing broken pavers and installing the 2024 stone and just trying to draw attention to it?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Agreed, can't have it both ways. Let's see how this plays out before anyone wants to pass judgement.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Not necessarily a complaint that the announced it...seems like an odd thing for the park to use labor costs to set up everything they needed to in Tower Gardens to close it a few weeks after opening day when they are already cutting things due to budget.  

Sorry if it seems as if I'm nitpicking everything, I really am trying not to. Heck, I showed up to the park opening day after I previously decided to not go to KI this year. I really want the best for KI and am constantly trying to understand the reasoning behind a lot of things, especially when decisions are made because "budget" but then they do something that just doesn't make sense in terms of budget. 

1 minute ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Not necessarily a complaint that the announced it...seems like an odd thing for the park to use labor costs to set up everything they needed to in Tower Gardens to close it a few weeks after opening day when they are already cutting things due to budget.  

Sorry if it seems as if I'm nitpicking everything, I really am trying not to. Heck, I showed up to the park opening day after I previously decided to not go to KI this year. I really want the best for KI and am constantly trying to understand the reasoning behind a lot of things, especially when decisions are made because "budget" but then they do something that just doesn't make sense in terms of budget. 

I doubt they would take the mini-Eiffel Towers out of the Gardens for this event?

Maybe they have had a better than planned start to the year and added this last minute?  Or maybe it was a placeholder that just go approved?  Maybe they redirected funds from one event or department to another?

It could be anything, but I would rather see them add events than take things away!

• Like 1

Looks like food & wine - https://www.journal-news.com/entertainment/kings-island-announcements-a-new-festival-shows-and-an-opening-date-for-its-newest-coaster/SQYEV27IYFGPRGVQSPSBV5ZOHQ/

There will be also be a new event this year: The Food and Wine Festival on weekends June 7–30). “Choose from a variety of regional and international red and white wine selections, complemented with scrumptious bites of charcuterie, varieties of cheese, sweet treats and more in a relaxed atmosphere with live entertainment and activities the entire family will enjoy,” the park said in a news release.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

By teasing it in this fashion on social media, the event has to be good. 

Since they announced TG closing and the event just a few hours later, I almost wonder if they feared that speculation was getting out of hand and pulled the trigger on it a little early