RiverRacers coming to Soak City in 2025

I do think that some guests might get disgruntled or choose not to renew passes but it's probably not enough to negatively affect the park. I don't think anyone should be told they have to be happy about some of the ways the park has cut corners in recent years such as less staff on the rides (I'm looking at you monster and at you dogem!) and reduced operating hours/days but despite some things I think the park could do better (have ice in the drink machine), Kings Island is still holding an above average standard in the amusement park industry. I understand the age old argument of "you could have Michigan's Adventure as your home park" but if I did, I think I'd just drive 4hrs to Cedar Point. Eventually long periods of not investing in a park or subpar investments results in some people just taking their business elsewhere. If Kings Island became Six Flags America bad in terms of ops, food, and investments, I could see myself looking into going to other parks in the area instead. However, KI is nowhere near that point for me. I renewed my pass the other day, added on the all park passport, and got both the drink & meal plans. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy the end of this season and I look forward to making new memories next year too! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

Nobody should be expected to just be happy the park is here and take what they're giving you with the product.

That is not at all what I am saying. If I were defending the park for adding nothing, sure, this would be a fair response to that. They have objectively improved the water park with this addition.

if it's just going to be a commitment to mediocrity.

That adding two water coasters and expanding a kids' area with a new set of slides "a commitment to mediocrity"? You're free to critique, of course, but calling a significant water park expansion "a commitment to mediocrity" does not strike me as a "fair" critique.

The standard used to be higher. That's the park I grew up with. 

Respectfully, the park you grew up with in the 80's and 90's was a far less mature park with fewer rides, areas, and attractions that what exists today. As such, the potential for growth and rate of growth was much higher then compared to today.

Take the coaster roster for example. It's true that from ~1990 to ~2000 the park's net coaster count went from 5 to 12, and since has gone only up to 15 (forgive me if my quick math is incorrect, but I think I'm close enough), but to expect linear growth would mean the park should have ~25 coasters today, ~10 more than they currently have. While I'm sure those who think RCT sandbox mode is real life would think they should have ~25 coasters, any reasonable observer should, I think, realize that such growth is not sustainable (see: Geauga Lake). Heck, even CP, the so-called "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" hasn't seen nearly the same rate of growth in recent years that it saw in the 90's.

Growth is not, and can not, be infinitely linear. The fact of the matter is that there are few "holes" in the park's lineup compared to the 80's and 90's, and that, I think, is also true of the water park.

• Like 4

On 8/8/2024 at 4:41 PM, Gabe said:

The coaster says it's 530 feet long. Is that per side? Cheetah Chase is 1700 feet long, so you'd think if this one is 530' per side, the park would advertise its (longer) length? smh.

The space they are putting the water coaster seems really small.  I hope I am wrong and it will be bigger than the space looks.

16 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I'm an enthusiast and proud to be one. I think enthusiasts can be picky but they are also the ones devoting much of their time traveling all over the country and in some cases internationally and in general hold the industry to a very high standard. I think the addition of river racers was needed, it was good, but it could have been better. Other parks have clearly done it better. 

I often judge how successful an attraction is by if any of my family mentions it or if people at work or church walk up to me and mention it. For example when Mystic Timbers was announced literally everyone was asking me if I'd heard about the new coaster Kings Island had announced and then when it opened everyone wanted to know if I'd ridden it and what I thought. In 2018/2019, again there were many people asking if I'd heard that they were bringing back the antique cars. Then the Orion announcement dropped and everyone was sending me povs and news articles and asking me what I thought about it. When adventure port was announced I had less people approach me but people were still interested. So far I've only had one person bring up the new water coaster to me... I'm not sure if that speaks to everyone I know being uninterested or maybe the park hasn't effectively reached them and they are uninformed. Keep in mind these people I'm talking about are not enthusiasts. My family members, coworkers, and friends go to KI maybe once a year and CP every couple years and never go to parks outside of Ohio. It doesn't take an enthusiast to tell you Diamondback and Orion are similar rides or that the park needs to have ice in their soda machines. Heck everyone I know was upset about The Vortex closing and they probably couldn't even tell you what year it opened or who manufactured the ride. I think the general public has feelings about things they just don't always have the platform that an enthusiast might have to make their thoughts known. 

In all fairness, a new waterpark expansion/attraction is going to be far less headline grabbing than a new coaster. In your own statement, you mention how the new Adventure Port drew less attention than a new coaster. A new waterpark expansion/attraction is going to fall in line with that as well. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KIBeast said:

In all fairness, a new waterpark expansion/attraction is going to be far less headline grabbing than a new coaster. In your own statement, you mention how the new Adventure Port drew less attention than a new coaster. A new waterpark expansion/attraction is going to fall in line with that as well

I'm just shocked that only one person has approached me to even start a conversation about River Racers and that individual heard something about it on the radio of all places. I agree that a new coaster generates a lot of conversation but I'm telling you people were excited about the antique Cars. Everyone was talking about that when it was announced. I'm hoping that maybe more people start coming up to me about river racers in the coming weeks because I like to see people getting excited about that park but so far I have yet to see the enthusiasm from the GP people I personally know (not that they are a reflection of the GP as a whole)

Sure, but I'm willing to wager a new water park attraction/expansion will garner less attention than any flat ride addition. It sounds to me like that is exactly what is going on. It also seems to me that new water park additions are not going to be a huge draw from any kind of long distance customers. Yeah, they will advertise the new addition in those areas, but is that going to really be the reason anyone that hasn't visited in a year or 2, bring them back? I just don't see it. I could be wrong. I'm not privy to the internal numbers that their marketing department has. It just seems logical to me that water park additions just aren't going to be a huge draw.

On 8/14/2024 at 11:40 AM, DonHelbig said:

Their marketing department doesn't respond to inquiries from me or @BoddaH1994. :)

Which of the shills was it that suggested that you only got stories outside of the park’s back yard to justify your job, in defense of the park’s inability to do so with its current personnel?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Which of the shills was it that suggested that you only got stories outside of the park’s back yard to justify your job, in defense of the park’s inability to do so with its current personnel?

I don't recall any of the shills suggesting that, but I do recall being told by someone at the park that the success I had in PR and social media was because of where I worked, not because of anything that I was doing. 

I got stories outside of the park's backyard because it sold tickets and season passes in Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Lexington, Huntington/Charleston WV, Fort Wayne, among others. I used to make annual media trips to each of these cities to meet with producers and assignment managers, share what was new that year at the park. While I was there, they'd do an interview with me, or I'd be a guest on the morning or noon news. These stations haven't been visited by Kings Island PR since I left the PR side in the fall of 2017. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

That is not at all what I am saying. If I were defending the park for adding nothing, sure, this would be a fair response to that. They have objectively improved the water park with this addition.

That adding two water coasters and expanding a kids' area with a new set of slides "a commitment to mediocrity"? You're free to critique, of course, but calling a significant water park expansion "a commitment to mediocrity" does not strike me as a "fair" critique.

Respectfully, the park you grew up with in the 80's and 90's was a far less mature park with fewer rides, areas, and attractions that what exists today. As such, the potential for growth and rate of growth was much higher then compared to today.

Take the coaster roster for example. It's true that from ~1990 to ~2000 the park's net coaster count went from 5 to 12, and since has gone only up to 15 (forgive me if my quick math is incorrect, but I think I'm close enough), but to expect linear growth would mean the park should have ~25 coasters today, ~10 more than they currently have. While I'm sure those who think RCT sandbox mode is real life would think they should have ~25 coasters, any reasonable observer should, I think, realize that such growth is not sustainable (see: Geauga Lake). Heck, even CP, the so-called "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" hasn't seen nearly the same rate of growth in recent years that it saw in the 90's.

Growth is not, and can not, be infinitely linear. The fact of the matter is that there are few "holes" in the park's lineup compared to the 80's and 90's, and that, I think, is also true of the water park.

It's things like drink stands being closed, out of ice, short show runs and theaters dark for good portions of the year, watered down events that put the park on the path of mediocrity. The loyalists may disagree, but those that look at things objectively know it's not what it could be. 

• Like 5

Well on that sort of thing I am definitely in agreement! In fact, I would trade several years worth of new marquee rides for a renewed focus on those things, especially live entertainment. Things were trending that way under Ouimet, but that focus has been all but abandoned since, at least at CP. As much as I love rides, it's the other stuff that creates lasting core memories, at least for me.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Well on that sort of thing I am definitely in agreement! In fact, I would trade several years worth of new marquee rides for a renewed focus on those things, especially live entertainment. Things were trending that way under Ouimet, but that focus has been all but abandoned since, at least at CP. As much as I love rides, it's the other stuff that creates lasting core memories, at least for me.

I think there are a lot of people that share your sentiment about this. 

So for comparisons sake in terms of size this is similar to Rocket’s Canopy Coaster at Castaway bay.

Rocket’s Canopy Coaster is 35 feet high, and 520 feet long. It’s a two seater tube that too uses water jets to propeller riders.

Difference being that Rocket’s Canopy Coaster also features a tube lift. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2024 at 5:43 PM, silver2005 said:

Just look what happened with the Reds a few years back with the whole "where are you going to go?" remarks and their attendance cratered.  I feel Kings Island is inching closer to that territory as of late. 

The "Where ya gonna go" comment happened in 2022.  Their attendance dropped by a few hundred per game that year. Their attendance has soared since.  From 17,000 that year, to 25,000 a game since.  Their attendance absolutely didn't crater.  

• Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 1:03 PM, rexpostal said:

The "Where ya gonna go" comment happened in 2022.  Their attendance dropped by a few hundred per game that year. Their attendance has soared since.  From 17,000 that year, to 25,000 a game since.  Their attendance absolutely didn't crater.  

Nope, I stand by cratered.

Reds attendance lowest mark in Great American Ball Park history (cincinnati.com)

12 hours ago, silver2005 said:

You think dropping 1,000 fans a game is cratering?  From 18,000 in 2021 to 17,000 in 2022?  And then up almost 8,000 the very next year?  I guess.  I see it as barely negligible attendance variance in one year to their highest attendance in 9 years,  but I guess we just disagree on what cratering actually means.  

• 2 weeks later...

Today was the last day of operation for Lookout Lagoon, which is being replaced by Splash River Junction. It opened in 1997 under the name Buccaneer Island. The name was changed in 2004 to Kangaroo Lagoon, and then to Lookout Lagoon in 2012. Probably the most notable thing about it is that it was featured in a couple shots of the Ghost Hunters episode that was filmed in November 2011.

I took these photos a few weeks ago, on August 5. It obviously wasn't the flashiest or biggest thing in the waterpark, but I'm surprised the park didn't put out any notices or anything about it closing today. 

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7625.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Today was the last day of operation for Lookout Lagoon, which is being replaced by Splash River Junction. It opened in 1997 under the name Buccaneer Island. The name was changed in 2004 to Kangaroo Lagoon, and then to Lookout Lagoon in 2012. Probably the most notable thing about it is that it was featured in a couple shots of the Ghost Hunters episode that was filmed in November 2011.

I took these photos a few weeks ago, on August 5. It obviously wasn't the flashiest or biggest thing in the waterpark, but I'm surprised the park didn't put out any notices or anything about it closing today. 

IMG_7620.jpeg

IMG_7621.jpeg

IMG_7622.jpeg

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

IMG_7625.jpeg

Ghost Hunters did a episode at Kings Island?