2023 General Kings Island Discussion

BeeastFarmer

I wasn`t at Kings Island today, but when I was out driving home from some errands, we started killing bugs on our windshield.  It sounded like rain drops, we were killing so many of them.  This was probably about 5pm.  They definitely looked like some kind of gnats.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I heard some unfortunate news today... Don Helbig has left Kings Island today. Chad Showalter will take over from this day on.

You know Don posts here right?  You better know what you're talking about. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

Mom told me before she go to bed.

I don't know if I would consider that a reliable source. I've checked several Kings Island social media pages and I haven't seen any mention of Don Helbig stepping down as PR manager. Like what @silver2005 said, Don Helbig is an active member of KI Central so don't be surprised if he makes a response.

I'm not saying you're incorrect, but personally I wouldn't be posting major news like this unless you had a credible source to back it up.

• Like 1

I don't think that's a reliable source. I've checked several Kings Island social media pages and I haven't seen any mention of Don Helbig stepping down as PR manager. Like what [mention=4738]silver2005[/mention] said, Don Helbig is an active member of KI Central so don't be surprised if he makes a response.

The park didn’t announce in any social media accounts when Rick Bulhumeur left the park last year, and they would not announce this either. It’s best to let this lay until he wants to let us all know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I Told you...

Sometimes in instances like this, it is best to let the person be the one to break the announcement.  Plenty of people knew about this before you posted and chose to remain silent.  There can be issues with sharing personnel actions publicly that didn't originate from either party.

Depending on circumstances, you may have now just put your mom's job at risk if she is a park employee...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 7/8/2023 at 7:56 PM, Benjamin22 said:

Had to leave literal hell with all these bugs, people said they were gnats but I’m not a bug expert. 

We were there too, I am pretty sure they were flying ants. Not carpenter ants, but male ants with wings, only come out a few days a year and they come out in massive swarms. 

So was anyone else at the park Sunday night? My fiancé and I went for the last couple of hours for the night and we stayed for the fireworks. Needless to say, there was definitely a malfunction somewhere as the audio gave out, the fountains didn't dance or light up, the tower didn't light up and the lasers over the fountain didn't seem to do what they were supposed to do either. The whole experience was strange and kind of eerie. We've already seen the show and really enjoyed it, but we felt bad for anyone who was there that night and hadn't seen it before due to the show not being fully functional.   

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Yeah, I would say per caps and attendance is down so far this season.

It is hard to comment on attendance and per cap spending without having access to actual attendance and revenue data, but we saw similar promotions around this time last season with the bring-a-friend deal becoming an everyday thing. Also, it seems like every Cedar Fair park is also employing similar deals right now (which may not bode well for the chain’s performance as a whole). I know some parks even went as far as loading free money onto guests’ season passes if they visited the park within a certain time period, which is crazy.

It is also important to note that Kings Island recently added back the weekday operating days (that generally see very low attendance) in August that had previously been cut before the season started (a Friday was even added that was never on the original 2023 calendar). If the park was performing poorly, I don’t these these days would have been added back.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It is hard to comment on attendance and per cap spending without having access to actual attendance and revenue data, but we saw similar promotions around this time last season with the bring-a-friend deal becoming an everyday thing. Also, it seems like every Cedar Fair park is also employing these deals right now. I know some parks even went as far as loading free money onto guests’ season passes if they visited the park within a certain time period.

It is also important to note that Kings Island recently added back weekday operating days (that generally see very low attendance) in August that had previously been cut before the season started (a Friday was even added that was never on the original 2023 calendar). If the park was performing poorly, I don’t these these days would have been added back.

Unless this is the strategy to help Q3 results?

• Like 1