Wolfpack building activity

SonofBaconator

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

As bad as the TTD incident was, Son of Beast had way more of them (not just limited to the 2006 and 2009 incidents), so its SOB being worst by a mile.  TTD had a far better safety record. 

RCCA were complete frauds in my book.   I actually respect Intamin and Zamperla.  They've done good work aside from TT2.  All of RCCA's coasters are/were garbage. 

I should also correct something- the loop on SOB wasn't the problem.  The 2006 incident happened in the first helix and part of it was lighter trains that made the track flex less, but the lighter Gerstlauer trains that replaced the heavier Premier trains weren't approved to do loops and probably couldn't due to the lack of weight. 

thanks for pointing out one of my biggest gripes with that recounting for the loop removal, sure PR side it probably did make more sense to just say the trains couldn't complete the loop, but lets all be honest, the new trains restraints were definitely not rated for that kind of use, nor would it be likely gerstlauer would approve of such use, even if they had been able to complete the original ride course with the loop.

I always thought the logo post loop removal looked really sad too. It was definitely empty without the signature element. I appreciate that all of the SoB merch they've released over the years uses the original logo with the loop. It always looked so cool. I really wanna get one of the metal light up signs from Scott's page as that has always been one of my favorite logos. 

For the fun of it, lets just say they did do a reboot. I wonder what the new logo would look like? I would hope they would still use the eyes as those are iconic to the design. A mix of old and new would be really rad.

• Like 5

I’ll put TT2 as the bigger failure. Waste of huge amounts of time and money. It’s like they didn’t learn anything from the SoB failures and repeated them again. At some point, you have to cut your losses and move on, no matter how much it hurts.

SoB was far better with the loop than without it. Without the loop it became an extremely painful experience. I can’t tell you the number of times I climbed out with pain and marks on my legs.

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

I’ll put TT2 as the bigger failure. Waste of huge amounts of time and money. It’s like they didn’t learn anything from the SoB failures and repeated them again. At some point, you have to cut your losses and move on, no matter how much it hurts.

SoB was far better with the loop than without it. Without the loop it became an extremely painful experience. I can’t tell you the number of times I climbed out with pain and marks on my legs.

yes, it felt like someone beat me with ball bats across my thighs

The other thing about SOB that makes it worse for me is that it practically had modifications done to it every year (including multiple modifications in single seasons) of its existence and still had the incidents and dwindling ridership, and on top of that, no company worth a crap (GCI, CCI, etc) would touch it and it all had to be done in house, including the loop removal work in 2007.  

Werner Stengel even designed SOB and I've heard he distances himself from it when it's brought up.  

• Like 1

Somewhat off topic of the current conversation in the chat, but I love that there is still discussion about SOB and I love seeing all the theories and ideas about revivals/reboots. But I also grew up obsessed with youtube channels like game theory and stuff, so I'm always all about theorizing stuff and connecting pieces together, even if they don't always make sense or actually connect. just fun stuff creatively. 

this chat honestly makes me want to go to haunt this friday to try and check out the SOB inspired lantern spot and all the stuff people are talking about in here. gives some use to my pass I bought before my friend group split up earlier this year. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 3dgyrat said:

Somewhat off topic of the current conversation in the chat, but I love that there is still discussion about SOB and I love seeing all the theories and ideas about revivals/reboots. But I also grew up obsessed with youtube channels like game theory and stuff, so I'm always all about theorizing stuff and connecting pieces together, even if they don't always make sense or actually connect. just fun stuff creatively. 

this chat honestly makes me want to go to haunt this friday to try and check out the SOB inspired lantern spot and all the stuff people are talking about in here. gives some use to my pass I bought before my friend group split up earlier this year. 

I recommend going over to the SOB station to check out the activation spot. My wife and I did that last night and thought that was the best spot to use your lantern. We personally think this could be hinting at something. To set something like that up strictly for Haunt makes zero sense to me. I don't think anyone should overlook this.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2024 at 11:03 PM, Tr0y said:

My opinion is that this is nothing more than a Red herring. Again there have been no survey markers found. Unlike Coney Mall which has quite a few of them.

However not ruling out any possibility. If there is markings it’s in a location guests can’t readily reach. The Timberwolf Amphitheatre would be that location. If I’m not mistaken there haven’t been any events there this season?

IMG_4377.jpeg

Timberwolf stage back removed and dumpsters on scene. Something mysterious is going on near Outpost 5. :ph34r:

IMG_1336.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Timberwolf stage back removed and dumpsters on scene. Something mysterious is going on near Outpost 5. :ph34r:

IMG_1336.jpeg

There's also the previous report of the timberwolf sign near the front entrance being removed as well. We should also pay attention to Xtreme Skyflyer since that's in the area too. Canada's Wonderland's was removed without any prior warning.

I want to emphasize that this does not confirm anything of a new attraction going in the Action Zone section nor does this confirm any sort of land clearing is even taking place. But I am interested to see what this area will look like next year.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Massive renovations for Music in the Parks and Spirit Song! :)

Maybe they go the way of Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Have a once a day show that starts an hour before park close, once the show ends and be forced to exit the theater via a service road that leads you out of the park. That way by the time you make it back to the park entrance the park will be closed, no re-entry. 

IMG_4264.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

• Like 1

I believe they take the back tarp off of the stage every fall/winter and then replace it the next spring. 

6 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Thinking back on it, I don't think this was the first time we saw the back of Timberwolf removed like this. Perhaps they could just be doing work on it? I saw that Music in the Parks already has an event scheduled for the park next year.

Music in the Parks doesn't really need Timberwolf. I believe in 2021, they did the award ceremonies in the International Showplace.

10 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Massive renovations for Music in the Parks and Spirit Song! :)

Except Spirit Song didn't happen this year and there has been no rumblings of it returning in the future. I feel them bringing it back in 2023 was sorta a "last resort" for Timberwolf concerts imo. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/13/2024 at 7:02 PM, FALLINLOVE09 said:

I recommend going over to the SOB station to check out the activation spot. My wife and I did that last night and thought that was the best spot to use your lantern. We personally think this could be hinting at something. To set something like that up strictly for Haunt makes zero sense to me. I don't think anyone should overlook this.

Hate to burst your bubble, but an enthusiast is part of the team that set it up, and he pressed for some things just to make people talk about it. Son of Beast is dead. It's not coming back.

• Thanks 1

People who really thought this meant SOB is actually coming back are just too optimistic imo. SOB was one of if not the biggest failures in amusement history and sent 27 people to the hospital in 2006 which made national headlines and embarrassed the park. It was so bad that in 2009 when one more injury was reported (that may or may not have actually came from SOB) the park shut it down immediately and chose to keep it down when it was greenlit to operate again and never reopened it again as one more hiccup was front page news which led to the decision to demolish it. While some people enjoyed the ride, the vast majority of guests found it rough and uncomfortable which is another reason why reviving it in any way just doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MysticTimberwolf said:

Which is very unfortunate considering how excited non-enthusiast groups were getting using their lantern by the SoB station. After seeing parents in the general public excitedly telling their kids about this crazy huge wooden coaster coming back, it rubs me the wrong way knowing it's more or less a troll.

Do you feel the same way about all the tombstones of former rides?  Parts of other rides sitting around as displays?

I don't see the interactive station by SoB as trolling.  I see it as a great way to re-use stuff from former rides just sitting around. 

If it gets people talking about a former ride, it is a good way for these families to pass on park history to their children and what is wrong with that?

If someone wants to read too much into that, that is on them, not the park. 

I can't help but laugh when people say "why would they want to bring back a failed attraction?" or "it was awful and rough". Look. The facts are, yes, it was a failed attraction. Very much so. That's no family secret. But it is also an attraction that still garners a lot of buzz amongst the GP and enthusiasts. Never is a big word that gets thrown around a lot until there is a dollar to be made. I wouldn't put it past the park to use the IP again if they knew it would really make them some money. Just food for thought there. Also a side note, the original Bat could also be said to be a failed attraction. It might not have gotten near the bad press that SoB did, but they still brought back the IP. 

And also, I am one who rode SoB many times. I was younger then and could handle the abuse from the ride. Would I ride it now if it were in the form that it was in from my last memory? Probably not. I can say for a fact that my last ride on it before it shut down forever was a week or two prior to the permanent closure and was honestly the best ride experience I ever had on it. But it did not always run that well and I know that as it stood back then, it was not a good ride. BUT, guys and gals, if they did for whatever reason decide to bring it back to life, do you really think they would build a coaster that wouldn't be fun and enjoyable? The industry as a whole has grown up a lot since the late 90's/early 2000's. If they were to build a reboot it wouldn't be the ride we remembered. It would be an entirely new ride all together and one they would ensure would have far more success and reliability than the former. That's not to say that there still aren't hiccups with reboots (IE: TT2 ) but I would wager to say that if they took a gamble on reusing an infamous IP such as SoB they would want to go with something tried and true to regain footing.

I will, repeat, again, I am in no way saying they will ever resurrect this guy. But these are different times we are living in and technology has advanced, lessons have been learned. IF an infamous IP were to make its way back into the ether, I would imagine it would be a Son The Beast himself would be proud of. 

• Like 4

Of all the coasters I have ridden, Son of Beast was just repetitive and had a somewhat boring layout. The first drop and loop were awesome. The rest of the ride was rough as hell at times. I rode it many times with and without the loop cause my oldest kid loved it. He liked jarring pain I suppose...ha! And the more I rode it, I just wished it was something so much more.

I agree, times are indeed different and who knows what it could have been. Although with the negative PR the ride garnered, I doubt they would want to revisit the name again for another version. But as stated, look at Top Thrill 2. So, I could be wrong.

Maybe because it was so big and such an intense and jarring ride is why so many liked it and it continues to be talked about.

I was a young teenager when the original Bat was opened. And through the lense of a young kid, that coaster holds a special place in my heart. So, I do get the fascination with Son of Beast...as rough as it was.

• Like 1

For me the 1st hill/drop was good and loop was good.  But the ride itself was really painful on the thighs . . I just cringed through the whole ride and had to be in the mood for some pain to ride it.

But what I really loved about the ride was this huge structure overlooking the park.  Not quite as iconic as The Vortex but it's location, sounds and views were great.  But I always liked woodie coaster structures.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I can't help but laugh when people say "why would they want to bring back a failed attraction?" or "it was awful and rough". Look. The facts are, yes, it was a failed attraction. Very much so. That's no family secret. But it is also an attraction that still garners a lot of buzz amongst the GP and enthusiasts. Never is a big word that gets thrown around a lot until there is a dollar to be made. I wouldn't put it past the park to use the IP again if they knew it would really make them some money. Just food for thought there. Also a side note, the original Bat could also be said to be a failed attraction. It might not have gotten near the bad press that SoB did, but they still brought back the IP. 

And also, I am one who rode SoB many times. I was younger then and could handle the abuse from the ride. Would I ride it now if it were in the form that it was in from my last memory? Probably not. I can say for a fact that my last ride on it before it shut down forever was a week or two prior to the permanent closure and was honestly the best ride experience I ever had on it. But it did not always run that well and I know that as it stood back then, it was not a good ride. BUT, guys and gals, if they did for whatever reason decide to bring it back to life, do you really think they would build a coaster that wouldn't be fun and enjoyable? The industry as a whole has grown up a lot since the late 90's/early 2000's. If they were to build a reboot it wouldn't be the ride we remembered. It would be an entirely new ride all together and one they would ensure would have far more success and reliability than the former. That's not to say that there still aren't hiccups with reboots (IE: TT2 ) but I would wager to say that if they took a gamble on reusing an infamous IP such as SoB they would want to go with something tried and true to regain footing.

I will, repeat, again, I am in no way saying they will ever resurrect this guy. But these are different times we are living in and technology has advanced, lessons have been learned. IF an infamous IP were to make its way back into the ether, I would imagine it would be a Son The Beast himself would be proud of. 

Yeah, of course it wouldn't be the same ride if they were to resurrect the IP. I was specifically referring to the people who think they are going to bring back the ride in the same state as it was before.

6 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I wouldn't put it past the park to use the IP again if they knew it would really make them some money. Just food for thought there. Also a side note, the original Bat could also be said to be a failed attraction. It might not have gotten near the bad press that SoB did, but they still brought back the IP.

Totally get where you’re coming from, but I think there are some key differences there being: 

1. While a failure, the ride experience was significantly better than SoB (from what I’ve heard), and the closure was more due to engineering issues. 

2. The Bat didn’t send a train full of park guests to the hospital. 

With that said, let’s have some fun and say that there’s potential for a ground-up RMC project on the table for the park. As an example let’s use Zadra at Poland’s Energylandia:

https://rcdb.com/16184.htm

Per the power of Google, the ride was estimated to have cost around $13 million USD. Which by comparison isn’t remarkably expensive, but for the sake of conversation let’s roll with it. 

Would the park/chain want to make that type of investment just to have it associated with a ride that had such an overwhelmingly negative history? Doesn’t seem like a solid strategy. 

18 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

Totally get where you’re coming from, but I think there are some key differences there being: 

1. While a failure, the ride experience was significantly better than SoB (from what I’ve heard), and the closure was more due to engineering issues. 

2. The Bat didn’t send a train full of park guests to the hospital. 

With that said, let’s have some fun and say that there’s potential for a ground-up RMC project on the table for the park. As an example let’s use Zadra at Poland’s Energylandia:

https://rcdb.com/16184.htm

Per the power of Google, the ride was estimated to have cost around $13 million USD. Which by comparison isn’t remarkably expensive, but for the sake of conversation let’s roll with it. 

Would the park/chain want to make that type of investment just to have it associated with a ride that had such an overwhelmingly negative history? Doesn’t seem like a solid strategy. 

I also get where you are coming from, but I feel the argument for the injuries it caused could be considered null and void considering TTD also caused a catastrophic injury that nearly killed a woman and yet they still green-lit a re-imagined TTD into TT2- albeit not being operational for 99% of the season. And one could argue that SoB was also ultimately closed for engineering issues because if engineering/build quality were not an issue, those injuries more than likely never would have occurred the way they did. Just sayin'. Both the OG Bat and SoB were for all intents and purposes, prototypes, neither were successful. Both full of lore and stories for days be it good or bad. So that is why I say nothing is ever 100% off the table with these places.

1 minute ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I also get where you are coming from, but I feel the argument for the injuries it caused could be considered null and void considering TTD also caused a catastrophic injury that nearly killed a woman and yet they still green-lit a re-imagined TTD into TT2- albeit not being operational for 99% of the season.  So that is why I say nothing is ever 100% off the table with these places.

Sure. But TT2 and the decision to try and revamp the ride and that’s so far proven unsuccessful. I wonder if they’d go for something like that now. 

Ideally, maybe they could do another Beast “sequel” devoid of any direct connection to SoB. That could  be a good happy medium. It would also be a fun marketing/theming/story opportunity. 

1 minute ago, beastfan11 said:

Sure. But TT2 and the decision to try and revamp the ride and that’s so far proven unsuccessful. I wonder if they’d go for something like that now. 

Ideally, maybe they could do another Beast “sequel” devoid of any direct connection to SoB. That could  be a good happy medium. It would also be a fun marketing/theming/story opportunity. 

I'm not exactly trying to split hairs with you here. I am just saying for the express purpose of using an IP again that has a negative backstory to it, the company did the thing. That is literally all I was getting at. Not the success of the ride itself but the simple fact of using an IP that has tales to tell in a not so positive light. That was all.

The structural issues with both the original Bat and SOB doomed both coasters. If I remember correctly, part the lift hill structure for SOB fell over in high winds during construction. The design flaw in The Bat was what made it so much fun unfortunately. That wild swinging back and forth was what made the ride memorable for me. I'm sure it was slower and rougher than I remember...seems forever ago. But it was a new concept at the time that I was in awe of. I am really happy they brought back The Bat name at least.

I agree. I think it would amazing if they could rebrand a new ride around the story of a doomed Son of Beast. I'd still be wary though since it does have such a negative light. I would love to see a ground up RMC there with some Beast theme.