Coney Mall Subway Becomes Coney Mall Cocktails

Taylor.B03

seems like a little bit of a waste of a food prep/service location unless they could retrofit it to really use the space to do real "craft cocktails" but with Mercado pretty close by, I'd say this is going to be pretty much a "pre-made" twist off the top kind of place. Still don't understand why they don't use th.s for a Mac?Cheese place - seems ready made with two order windows in the middle, a "prep" line behind 3/4 length glass and then a "pick up" at the two ends. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

seems like a little bit of a waste of a food prep/service location unless they could retrofit it to really use the space to do real "craft cocktails" but with Mercado pretty close by, I'd say this is going to be pretty much a "pre-made" twist off the top kind of place. Still don't understand why they don't use th.s for a Mac?Cheese place - seems ready made with two order windows in the middle, a "prep" line behind 3/4 length glass and then a "pick up" at the two ends. 

A dedicated Mac & Cheese place would have been a good fit for this location. Or return it back to what it originally was as the Sweet Tooth and sell ice cream and cotton candy. That would be a better fit in Coney Mall than a place to get adult beverages. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Not too surprising KI wants to push alcohol sales by adding another dedicated location since alcohol drinks have a huge profit margin, and as they say, alcohol sells (which equals more profits for the park). However, families are looking for food/snack options, not alcohol, and probably agree the choice of a cocktail location by the park was probably a poor one in terms of an overall family/child/teen park satisfaction.

• Like 5

I agree, it seems like there could have been a better choice for that building.  I still think they should have put Tom+Chee there and put Skyline in the former Chic-fil-A place instead as this past year showed that the park could handle 2 Skylines as the Coney Mall location was way more busier with the other Skyline converted to G&G that rarely had a line.

Or the Mac&Cheese would be a great fit.  Anything to help spread the dining plan offerings and lines out would have been a good thing.

Eliminating a meal plan dining location when they are pushing dining plans seems short-sided.

The Mercado behind Enrique's is close enough for those needing to fill their alcohol wants, along with the beer stand in front of The Racer, that as someone said is probably gone now and will probably be converted to a one-time Front of the Line selling point LOL.

Instead it seems like they are trying to squeeze more nickels out of the guests already in the park with additional in-park up-charge items.

• Like 4

Those outdated window ordering buildings have dismal capacity, which is why parks are moving away from them and going with the more modern Harmony Hall/Grand Pavilion type eateries that can not only more efficiently handle volume, but also centralizes food service staff. So making that a specialty cocktail spot makes a lot of sense.

• Like 4

The VIP lounge has always felt like it should be a bar instead.  Except for the lack of a drain, just about the only thing that would be needed is to build counters around the structure.  It’s already this nice fenced in area.  Have bartenders serving mixed drinks.  Personally I think it would work really well with some theming and make it into a tiki bar.

The park would need a new VIP area then but frankly not many people seem to like the current one.

Making the old subway into a bar seems like an odd choice.  Plenty of other choices they could have gone with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DispatchMaster said:

Those outdated window ordering buildings have dismal capacity, which is why parks are moving away from them and going with the more modern Harmony Hall/Grand Pavilion type eateries that can not only more efficiently handle volume, but also centralizes food service staff. So making that a specialty cocktail spot makes a lot of sense.

That’s why I think it could’ve been retrofitted to play to that “linear” nature by having the topping choices against the windows. I’ve also wondered if a Mac-cheese idea could go in Rivertown funnel cake location. Fits theme-wise and that line is also set up to accommodate the “build it as you go” idea. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kenban said:

The VIP lounge has always felt like it should be a bar instead.  Except for the lack of a drain, just about the only thing that would be needed is to build counters around the structure.  It’s already this nice fenced in area.  Have bartenders serving mixed drinks.  Personally I think it would work really well with some theming and make it into a tiki bar.

The park would need a new VIP area then but frankly not many people seem to like the current one.

Love that idea. As it is VIP does seem fairly “unimportant”. I’d hate to loose one of my favorite spots, but I never understood why they didn’t use/expand the back patio of BrewHouse. Permanent shade structure-push the patio out and maybe even down a lavel. Restrooms right there. Bar and food/beverage to sell. Easy to control access from inside restaurant and the smaller side path. Again… I’d never wish it, but seems like it would’ve taken WAY less effort and had greater ROI. 

Of course, someone that doesn't work for the park, shares the news instead of the Kings Island Team. 

Waste of space imo. I love to have a drink or two when I'm at a park, but this isn't something that I feel like I have to get to KI for. Mac n Cheese bar, sure.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Of course, someone that doesn't work for the park, shares the news instead of the Kings Island Team. 

This constant need to attack the park and its communication is really getting old, and feels unwarranted here.  Someone updated the map in the app early, and it was noticed.  Accidental leaks happen and I believe we have noticed them before.

Changes like this are typically packaged together and announced at the same time closer to the parks opening.  Last year the first reference I can find to Outpost Frozen Cocktails was not until April.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I think the only thing that could have disappointed me more than an adult only beverage place opening up in this location would be if they just put Subway back.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kenban said:

This constant need to attack the park and its communication is really getting old, and feels unwarranted here.  Someone updated the map in the app early, and it was noticed.  Accidental leaks happen and I believe we have noticed them before.

Changes like this are typically packaged together and announced at the same time closer to the parks opening.  Last year the first reference I can find to Outpost Frozen Cocktails was not until April.

I feel the same way it is not necessary to attack the park over something so small. I have a feeling they will probably post all of the new food and beverage updates at the same time. Probably talk about this as well as speaking about the new restaurant. If they do not bring it up before opening day then it is probably something to worry about.

• Like 2

Another food place definitely would have been ideal. Like some of you, I like to treat myself on a rare occasion to an adult beverage, especially if its a specialty collab beer with say Sonder ( Blue Ice Cream/Strawberry Funnel Cake) or the likes. But otherwise, I don't care to spend $13+ on a drink that I can get much cheaper elsewhere. It will be interesting to see how much business this gets. 

• Like 1

The thing about alcoholic beverages at places with a captive audience is that they don't need to do much volume with those margins to be a money maker. But if the lines at other places with captive audiences are any indication, they will do a fair amount of volume as well.

• Like 1

Am I remembering something wrong, or is this the 3rd new bar in basically a year?  Outpost Frozen cocktails opened with the park last year, the container bar last year with Haunt, and now Coney Mall Frozen Cocktails.  I don’t drink beer and prefer alcohol in other forms, so it’s nice to see the park branching out.  But hopefully we have new food choices and maybe new locations with ICEE machines, and coffee due to the new drink plan.  Also I prefer the bars to be a little more off the main midways.  I would think this would work better under the overhang on the back of the Emporium across from Festhaus, it already has tables even.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kenban said:

Am I remembering something wrong, or is this the 3rd new bar in basically a year?  Outpost Frozen cocktails opened with the park last year, the container bar last year with Haunt, and now Coney Mall Frozen Cocktails.  I don’t drink beer and prefer alcohol in other forms, so it’s nice to see the park branching out.  But hopefully we have new food choices and maybe new locations with ICEE machines, and coffee due to the new drink plan.  Also I prefer the bars to be a little more off the main midways.  I would think this would work better under the overhang on the back of the Emporium across from Festhaus, it already has tables even.

The old generation of Kings Island kids are now adults with kids themselves. And as a parent who takes his young kids to Kings Island, I must say that options to keep the alcohol flowing make my trip much more enjoyable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kenban said:

I mean, surely they wouldn't sell us the idea of unlimited coffee and ICEEs then remove them from 90% of the park so nobody actually uses them... right?

20 minutes ago, Stoan said:

I mean, surely they wouldn't sell us the idea of unlimited coffee and ICEEs then remove them from 90% of the park so nobody actually uses them... right?

Prestige passholders saying probably LOL

3 hours ago, Stoan said:

You also have to remember, they removed two restaurants that were on the Dining Plan for two bars that aren't. That's almost certainly by design.

16 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

You also have to remember, they removed two restaurants that were on the Dining Plan for two bars that aren't. That's almost certainly by design.

They are trying to squeeze more nickels out of the passholders with meal/drink plans...