Kings Island next coaster survey 2024

WoodVengeance

Seen this posted on reddit. Apparently Kings Island sent out a survey to vote for a potential new coaster out of four candidates. This includes a Mack Xtreme Spinner shuttle coaster with a 200ft tower, a 4500ft long family coaster (possibly Zamperla from the concept art), a dark ride coaster with indoor/outdoor sections, and (yes, I'm being serious) a B&M giga dive coaster.

It's important to note that although this was a survey published by Kings Island itself, any of these plans could change from the final product.

• Like 4

Reading the description of the Tower Coaster, it seems the concept creator was on the same drugs as the person at Arrow who created the 4D coaster.  

Though, its actually a ride used in RCT3.  

• Like 2

I received this as well, but figured I wouldn't be the one to leak it. To me the indoor/outdoor rollercoaster sounds like the best concept to me, especially if it makes use of the tomb raider building. Done right, it could really be a stand out attraction. They threw in a Revenge of the Mummy ride photo from universal. Something even close to that would be awesome. With the right theming and a switch track or drop track, this really would be something KI would benefit from. I also like the idea of the multi-launch family coaster, but to me it just resembles a larger version of Soap Box Racers. I would also rather not have another shuttle. It works fine for a shorter layout, but not for something that size, for a park with the volume of KI. 

KI could have two gigas :lol:, I love Yukon striker, but I just feel we have better gaps in our lineup to be filled than a dive

• Like 5

I haven't received the survey yet, so I didn't see that memo about the park not wanting it to be shared, though it makes sense. That's just the risk of surveys like this is that someone is bound to talk about it, as evidence from this and all the other coaster surveys Cedar Fair has pushed out since last year.

• Like 2

My thoughts on these proposals:

The Tower Spinner: Looks very... unique? Although I am extremely hyped seeing a Mack Xtreme Spinner on here, I don't think a shuttle coaster is the right move the park should make in regards to capacity. I think if the park was looking to get an Xtreme spinner, it would probably be better if they just went with one with a normal layout and 3 train operations. Also, I really don't think this layout would fit The Vortex plot given how long and narrow it is, so it would be interesting to see where in the park this would go.

The family launch coaster: Considering Kings Island just added Snoopy's Soap Box Racers and already has Backlot as a family launch coaster, I don't think this would be a good fit for the park. Interestingly, some people have said that the example the park used for this coaster type was an Intamin coaster and not a Zamperla, so maybe this could be a hint that Cedar Fair is willing to work with Intamin again? Maybe, maybe not.

The Indoor/Outdoor coaster: This coaster type just screams Crypt building to me. I had the thought in my head about a coaster that uses the crypt building as a station area and a small indoor section, then traverse through the plot of land that's behind the building. I wouldn't mind seeing a coaster like this come to fruition at some point in the future, but I think Kings Island's next coaster should be on the more thrilling side.

The Giga Dive: I'm still in the camp that Kings Island shouldn't go with B&M for their next coaster unless it was something unique to the area like a Surf Coaster. Regardless, I imagine this will be the most popular pick among the general public and I do admit that a dive coaster with a 300ft+ tall drop seems quite exciting to me. Although if Kings Island does go this route and makes it the tallest coaster in the park, it would make me question Orion's role in the park considering the main draw for that ride (at least for the general public) is that it is the tallest and fastest coaster in the park.

Overall, if I had to pick any of these from how they're currently presented, I would go with the Giga Dive. However, if the park fleshed out the layout of that Xtreme Spinner more, I would be more enticed to vote for that instead.

• Like 3

KI Decoding 2025 beginning soon maybe...? Let's hope! 

My take on it though is it's less what coaster guests might want and more what elements those contain...
Giga dive? Height. Tower coaster? Intensity. Family thrill? Themed but tame/fun coaster, i.e. Hagrids, Indoor/Outdoor? Another dark ride... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Coasterteam said:

KI Project 2025 beginning soon maybe...? Let's hope! 

My take on it though is it's less what coaster guests might want and more what elements those contain...
Giga dive? Height. Tower coaster? Intensity. Family thrill? Themed but tame/fun coaster, i.e. Hagrids, Indoor/Outdoor? Another dark ride... 

It won't be 2025. We would've seen some sort of land clearing at the park by now if that were the case. My guess is that we'll see a new coaster in 2026, but we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WoodVengeance said:

It won't be 2025. We would've seen some sort of land clearing at the park by now if that were the case. My guess is that we'll see a new coaster in 2026, but we'll have to wait and see.

soon:tm: 

2 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

The Tower Spinner: Looks very... unique? Although I am extremely hyped seeing a Mack Xtreme Spinner on here, I don't think a shuttle coaster is the right move the park should make in regards to capacity. I think if the park was looking to get an Xtreme spinner, it would probably be better if they just went with one with a normal layout and 3 train operations. Also, I really don't think this layout would fit The Vortex plot given how long and narrow it is, so it would be interesting to see where in the park this would go.

Remember this is just an idea for a survey. I don't believe this will end up being the final product if they decide to go with the Xtreme spinner. The whole purpose of these surveys are to get guest feedback. In fact it doesn't necessarily mean the park is going to go with any of the 4 listed (see Dollywood a few years back). Personally I think if the park goes with the Xtreme Spinner, they are just showcasing some potential elements that could be on the ride and the ride itself ends up being a full circut coaster with a swing launch. Maybe an Xtreme spinner with a Voltron like layout?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Remember this is just an idea for a survey. I don't believe this will end up being the final product if they decide to go with the Xtreme spinner. The whole purpose of these surveys are to get guest feedback. In fact it doesn't necessarily mean the park is going to go with any of the 4 listed (see Dollywood a few years back). Personally I think if the park goes with the Xtreme Spinner, they are just showcasing some potential elements that could be on the ride and the ride itself ends up being a full circut coaster with a swing launch. Maybe an Xtreme spinner with a Voltron like layout?

if we even got a Voltron clone..., I'd be over the moon

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I completely agree. I think the concepts proposed in the survey are intentionally wild to get a sense of what guests are looking for in a coaster whether that be something record breaking, never before seen, gimmicky, thrilling, highly themed, more family oriented, or a combination of these characteristics. From guest feedback, Kings Island will design a new coaster that incorporates what guests are looking for.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

Seen this posted on reddit. Apparently Kings Island sent out a survey to vote for a potential new coaster out of four candidates. This includes a Mack Xtreme Spinner shuttle coaster with a 200ft tower, a 4500ft long family coaster (possibly Zamperla from the concept art), a dark ride coaster with indoor/outdoor sections, and (yes, I'm being serious) a B&M giga dive coaster.

It's important to note that although this was a survey published by Kings Island itself, any of these plans could change from the final product.

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking the park’s mindset is. They’re looking for something that is really marketable to pull guests from across the country. Orion and Mystic Timbers didn’t bring in the attendance levels they wanted and I think they’re looking for a really unique attraction. Here are my thoughts: 

Tower coaster: I think this is a really good start for this type of ride. I would personally rather see just a regular Mack Xtreme spinner because they could always just break the tallest, fastest, longest spinning coaster records instead of going for something like this and it would bring in just as much if not more crowds in. 

Family Thrill Coaster: I personally don’t think this would be the best option as we’re already getting Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers and we also have a lot of coasters with a lower height requirement already. 

Indoor/Outdoor coaster: I think this would be a really good fit for the park if the theming was done right. However, I don’t think this is what we need as our next addition. I would definitely like to see this in the near future.

Giga Dive: This would be very marketable and it would be a fun ride but another B&M is not what we need. Especially another giga. Also Valravn is only three hours away and lots of people visit Cedar Point and Kings Island in the same trip. Personally I don’t think this addition would be the best fit.

Overall I really like that they’re interested in guest feedback and I do think out of these options the Tower Coaster would be the best option but It definitely needs to be tweaked a little bit. I think 2026 is looking more and more likely to be our year because also Canada’s Wonderland sent out a survey last year and they’re getting a new coaster next year.

• Like 2

I'm behind the Mack Extreme Spinner but I'm against any sort of shuttle coaster... capacity is soooo bad on those types of rides. However, a full circuit (something like Time Traveler or Ride to Happiness) would be an absolute dream come true for The Vortex plot. I'd also love to see something akin to verboten in the crypt building complete with a drop track. I love themed story rides and that building has sat vacant far too long. I'm less interested in the b&m dive seeing as we already have 3 b&m coasters and valravn is nearby. (I also HATE vest restraints). I think someone should build a 300' dive...it just doesn't need to be Kings Island. The park doesn't need a new family coaster unless they bare planning to axe Backlot so I'm not really behind that at all. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

This is exactly what I’ve been thinking the park’s mindset is. They’re looking for something that is really marketable to pull guests from across the country. Orion and Mystic Timbers didn’t bring in the attendance levels they wanted and I think they’re looking for a really unique attraction. Here are my thoughts: 

Tower coaster: I think this is a really good start for this type of ride. I would personally rather see just a regular Mack Xtreme spinner because they could always just break the tallest, fastest, longest spinning coaster records instead of going for something like this and it would bring in just as much if not more crowds in. 

Family Thrill Coaster: I personally don’t think this would be the best option as we’re already getting Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers and we also have a lot of coasters with a lower height requirement already. 

Indoor/Outdoor coaster: I think this would be a really good fit for the park if the theming was done right. However, I don’t think this is what we need as our next addition. I would definitely like to see this in the near future.

Giga Dive: This would be very marketable and it would be a fun ride but another B&M is not what we need. Especially another giga. Also Valravn is only three hours away and lots of people visit Cedar Point and Kings Island in the same trip. Personally I don’t think this addition would be the best fit.

Overall I really like that they’re interested in guest feedback and I do think out of these options the Tower Coaster would be the best option but It definitely needs to be tweaked a little bit. I think 2026 is looking more and more likely to be our year because also Canada’s Wonderland sent out a survey last year and they’re getting a new coaster next year.

At the very least, I think it's possible one of these concepts may be used to influence our next coaster. One of the concepts that Canada's Wonderland had in their survey last year was a launched wing coaster that went through wonder mountain. Although now it looks as if it won't be a launched wing coaster, it still seems their 2025 project will be some sort of launch coaster that interacts with the mountain. The same goes for Carowinds having water attractions in their survey from last year, as the blueprints for their 2025 project show a new water ride and splash pads going to Camp Snoopy. The overall concept is still similar, albeit in a slightly different form.

I think it's possible that whatever comes out of this survey, it could go down a similar path. A coaster that's not exactly a 1:1 comparison, but still uses one of those concepts as a basis to build upon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

2025 will be a dark ride. 2026 is not the survey ride but probably a water park expansion. So 2027 is the most realistic option 

See I'm thinking 2025 is some water park work, 2026 is the survey ride, and then 2027/2028 is a dark ride. But we'll have to see, that's the fun part of speculating :D

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

2025 will be a dark ride. 2026 is not the survey ride but probably a water park expansion. So 2027 is the most realistic option 

:fingers_crossed: vekoma madhouse vekoma madhouse vekoma madhouse :fingers_crossed: (if you say it three times in the mirror it helps)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CoasterJack said:

See I'm thinking 2025 is some water park work, 2026 is the survey ride, and then 2027/2028 is a dark ride. But we'll have to see, that's the fun part of speculating :D

Can I say something that nobody talking about, it's the wooden crate near great wolf but it's for Kings Island, it's opened and it shows a wooden platform with a blue and transparent tarmacs.

• Like 1

I’m totally on board with an indoor coaster. If the park has any aspirations on operating year round, the weather has to be removed from the equation. I think a lot of people would like the idea of seeing Phantom Theatre make a return. Imagine it in coaster form? A good example of an breathing new life in a beloved IP is Darkoaster at BGW:

• Like 2

Looking through Reddit, it appears as if someone got a survey from Cedar Point, however it included a tilt coaster and water coaster in lieu of the dark ride coaster and dive coaster that showed up on the Kings Island survey.

One Redditor posted that Carowinds sent out a similar survey, with the giga dive coaster, water coaster, family launch coaster, and a super flume as options.

CP - 

Carowinds - 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I’m totally on board with an indoor coaster. If the park has any aspirations on operating year round, the weather has to be removed from the equation. I think a lot of people would like the idea of seeing Phantom Theatre make a return. Imagine it in coaster form? A good example of an breathing new life in a beloved IP is Darkoaster at BGW:

I enjoyed DarKoaster, but imagine if we got something like Verbolten?

https://youtu.be/MSYaejy74AM?feature=shared

• Like 2