Adventure Port Ride Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

update to my impressions. I really appreciate the amount of work. but i definitely wish it were feasible to get on-board audio or many many speakers at the mid-ride dialogue spots. Yesterday I got to hear a couple sentences and imagining if I couldve heard everything, it made it feel akin to the universal adventures :)

feels like a lot of effort went into the dialogue and you cant always hear it depending on where you get told to sit & sometimes you dont hear it at all.

However! despite that one tomb guy not pumping his arms for the past month.. I was able to find at least 2 spikes that actually came out and retracted.

- and no.. I'm not expecting on-board audio. Just wishing it were in the cards or easier to pull off

• Like 3

On 6/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, disco2000 said:

What will it take to prevent guests from pulling on the restraints with all their weight LOL.

PSA - the restraints will come down on their own.

My understanding is most of the downtime is related to guests pulling on the restraints and tripping faults.

So while we see the ride down a lot, it appears to be more guest initiated as opposed to ride initiated because folks are used to pulling down their own restraints.

They can tell people and have signs saying that the restraint will lower on its own, but people are used to lowering their own restraint so they’re going to do that due to muscle memory. They should have accounted for this. If pulling on it caused a fault then that’s a huge design flaw that should have been addressed many iterations ago. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

They can tell people and have signs saying that the restraint will lower on its own, but people are used to lowering their own restraint so they’re going to do that due to muscle memory. They should have accounted for this. If pulling on it caused a fault then that’s a huge design flaw that should have been addressed many iterations ago. 

I have watched cycles where a ride op literally walks with the person to the seat and tells them not to pull down the restraint and yet they still try despite the sign and being told as they are sitting down.

Similar to how pushing too hard on the queue gates at coasters can trip a fault, I suspect as these restraints get worked in, there may be more give on the restraints to not trip a sensor or maybe they can adjust the sensitivity.

And I am sure there are other reasons why the ride goes down, but in many instances maintenance is looking at the restraint of a seat.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

They were being painted iirc

There was a post on social media over the winter with a pic of a restored or reimagined mask. But I don't think it was said they would return to the original spots , but would be very easy to conjecture that they would. 

• Like 4

Rode Sol Spin tonight and agree with many of the comments here.  The seats are not comfortable at all, but that is not a big deal to me because it is not my favorite flat ride anyway so I won't be riding very often. 

I think what would be an improvement is reporting the queue time on the KI app.  We waited 30 minutes to ride tonight and that was with the queue less than half full.  With a queue that big for a flat ride, they really should report the wait times.  Sol Spin likely had a longer wait than Delirium all day and Delirium reports its wait times via the app.

• Like 4

After finally getting a ride on Sol Spin, I have now had the full Adventure Port experience. Here are my thoughts:

Cargo Loco: I love this ride! My friends and I always make an effort to get at least one ride on this every time we go to Kings Island. Granted, its just a simple tea cup ride, but I really enjoy it. 9/10

(Improved theming) Adventure Express: Wow. The theming on this is fantastic! Its right up there with Mystic Timbers (and I dare say even better). Ride wise, I'd say its running better than before. Still gives great laterals and the occasional pop of air time. 9.5/10

Sol Spin: First attempt at getting a ride on this consisted of waiting 30 minutes to get to the front of the line only for the ride to coincidently go down, but I won't factor that in my review. Ride wise, I think its unique. No other flat ride offers the sensation (for me, positive G's and a little floater air time at the top) that Sol Spin has, so its definitely noteworthy in that aspect. However, capacity is kinda low and it can take a long time to get through the line. I'd much rather wait 30 minutes for Mystic Timbers than 30 minutes for Sol Spin. Overall, I'll be generous and give this a 7/10.

EDIT: I was also curious to see if Sol Spin would de-throne Shake, Rattle & Roll as my favorite flat ride. Shake, Rattle & Roll still remains supreme.

As for Adventure Port as a whole, I would give the area a 9/10. The rides, coupled with the food, theming, and the atmosphere, offers one of the best themed areas at Kings Island. 

Edited by Klabergian Empire
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

EDIT: I was also curious to see if Sol Spin would de-throne Shake, Rattle & Roll as my favorite flat ride. Shake, Rattle & Roll still remains supreme.

Sol Spin is cool, but I think Cargo Loco is my new favorite flat. It’s at least one of my (new) go-to rides, anyway :D

• Like 5

On 6/29/2023 at 11:47 AM, MDMC01 said:

Sol Spin is cool, but I think Cargo Loco is my new favorite flat. It’s at least one of my (new) go-to rides, anyway :D

I just wish the barrels were more consistent on the spinning, and they let you know it only spins one direction.

14 minutes ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I can confirm that Sol Spin was open today as I rode it for the first time today.  I did find the restraints pretty restrictive as others have mentioned. 

It was a nice ride but I will probably ride Cargo Loco much more of the two new rides.  Delirium is still my favorite flat in the park.

I also rode SS for the first time today. I was able to fit in the restraints just fine. However I will say if you have wider hips, the seat is a bit small. The restrictiveness of the restraints are nowhere near as restrictive as Drop Tower imo. I also can ride Delirium with no issues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I, too, rode Sol Spin for the first time today. I will echo sentiments that the seats are uncomfortable. It helped to move my hips a bit forward though.  My issue with the restraints is that they mostly move on their own and with the tiny hole for your head, I had to be careful not to let it knock my glasses off.

I do agree that they are not as restrictive as Drop Towers restraints but remember those restraints are so restrictive because of the CGA accident in '99 and were never replaced with improved ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

I do agree that they are not as restrictive as Drop Towers restraints but remember those restraints are so restrictive because of the CGA accident in '99 and were never replaced with improved ones.

Interesting, I did not know this was the reason. It makes sense, though.

3 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Interesting, I did not know this was the reason. It makes sense, though.

It's been discussed on KICentral but apparently the seatbelts were added to make sure the restraints close to a certain distance. Before that it was much easier for a larger person to ride but the gap between the OTSR and the seat often left too much room for someone to slip out. Or at least, this is my understanding of things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

It's been discussed on KICentral but apparently the seatbelts were added to make sure the restraints close to a certain distance. Before that it was much easier for a larger person to ride but the gap between the OTSR and the seat often left too much room for someone to slip out. Or at least, this is my understanding of things.

The CGA accident was a kid that slipped thru, so it wasn't just for a larger person why they were added.

Prior to that, all it had was the OTSR and any gap between the OTSR, the person, and the seat could have allowed someone to wiggle their way out accidentally (like a scared kid wanting off) or the force of the ride when it would reach the brake run and certain body dimensions or characteristics could slip thru.

So seatbelts were added to ensure that the opening between the OTSR and the seat wasn't large enough that the middle torso could fit thru (if the belt doesn't hook, they don't ride), plus the seatbelt between the legs provides another factor of safety to prevent someone from sliding thru.

The Florida accident probably would have been prevented had it had seatbelts.  Between the seatbelt not being long enough for the rider, coupled with if it were somehow long enough (which based on the pictures I saw, it never would have allowed the restraint that high), as the body slid forward, it would have been a somewhat uncomfortable ride between the legs from the seatbelt, but they would have stayed in.

I am still shocked that a new Drop Tower that also had forward tilting seats was put into operation without a seatbelt between the legs.

• Like 4

On 7/4/2023 at 11:36 PM, DoomPlague said:

I, too, rode Sol Spin for the first time today. I will echo sentiments that the seats are uncomfortable. It helped to move my hips a bit forward though.  My issue with the restraints is that they mostly move on their own and with the tiny hole for your head, I had to be careful not to let it knock my glasses off.

The problem with moving hips forward while riding this ride is that one’s spine will now be curved instead of straight up or down against the seat back. This ride applies some good G forces and it is not a good idea to absorb G forces with ones back curved. 

this ride is just poorly designed. I would guess that the gryphon at kennywood has the same type of seating.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 11:22 AM, Klabergian Empire said:

EDIT: I was also curious to see if Sol Spin would de-throne Shake, Rattle & Roll as my favorite flat ride. Shake, Rattle & Roll still remains supreme

Good to know! My favorite is when you're spinning but before the arms lift you in the air. Its like gliding over water like scrambler but you have no neck strain :p

On 6/28/2023 at 3:20 AM, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

Rode Sol Spin tonight and agree with many of the comments here.  The seats are not comfortable at all, but that is not a big deal to me because it is not my favorite flat ride anyway so I won't be riding very often. 

I think what would be an improvement is reporting the queue time on the KI app.  We waited 30 minutes to ride tonight and that was with the queue less than half full.  With a queue that big for a flat ride, they really should report the wait times.  Sol Spin likely had a longer wait than Delirium all day and Delirium reports its wait times via the app.

Me and my sister just asked a fellow guest that was boarding how long and they were like 40 min maybe lol

On 7/3/2023 at 11:39 AM, Stoan said:

I just wish the barrels were more consistent on the spinning, and they let you know it only spins one direction.

Wait what? is that true? :(

I wouldntve noticed as I "spun" so that I always faced Banshee (for the laughs.. which is counter clockwise i think) and then we went clockwise to match the ride's rotation... least thats how I thought we did it until you made that post XD

• Like 1

6 hours ago, calakapepe said:

Good to know! My favorite is when you're spinning but before the arms lift you in the air. Its like gliding over water like scrambler but you have no neck strain :p

I love this part too! Have you ever ridden a Condor-type ride (they are pretty rare nowadays)? It's pretty much that, but the whole apparatus rises in the air.

https://www.hussrides.com/en/classic-rides/condor-2g2gh

According to Wikipedia, there are only 3 operating in the United States - one at Great Escape (NY), one at Six Flags Great America, and one at NJFTP (er, Six Flags Great Adventure). I rode the one at Hersheypark before it was removed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

I love this part too! Have you ever ridden a Condor-type ride (they are pretty rare nowadays)? It's pretty much that, but the whole apparatus rises in the air.

https://www.hussrides.com/en/classic-rides/condor-2g2gh

According to Wikipedia, there are only 3 operating in the United States - one at Great Escape (NY), one at Six Flags Great America, and one at NJFTP (er, Six Flags Great Adventure). I rode the one at Hersheypark before it was removed.

I think Hershey's was removed before i visited in 2017.

but I 'd be surprised if i liked it cause i love the aspect of doing that motion right near the floor.. the same reason i strongly prefer the left side of Thunderbird & XFlight

• Like 2