Don Helbig

IndyGuy4KI

Don Helbig spearheaded enthusiast events, including three KIC-exclusive events, at Kings Island. He was also the person most responsible for the fan-favorite Coasterstock. The biggest advocate for KIC, ACE, the Facebook groups, and KI guests in general. Two months after his departure, this was done to his prop grave. Several other former employees are still marked on their graves. This was clearly intentional. They hate him because they hate you. Remember this when they’re begging you for USA Today and Golden Ticket votes.IMG_7942.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

18 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Don Helbig spearheaded enthusiast events, including three KIC-exclusive events, at Kings Island. He was also the person most responsible for the fan-favorite Coasterstock. The biggest advocate for KIC, ACE, the Facebook groups, and KI guests in general. Two months after his departure, this was done to his prop grave. Several other former employees are still marked on their graves. This was clearly intentional. They hate him because they hate you. Remember this when they’re begging you for USA Today and Golden Ticket votes.IMG_7942.jpeg

Mods Please Delete 

• Confused 4

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I think you’re being a little extreme here. We all miss Don Helbig, and it is sad that he is gone. However, why would the Kings Island employees setting up the gravestones intentionally do something like this? And why are you creating the narrative that Kings Island hates its fans? It’s not “them” against us. You kind of sound like Alex Jones saying that.

• Like 10

23 minutes ago, zac2211 said:

Are we sure this was done intentionally by the park? To me, it just seems like it could be a random act of vandalism by an unruly guest. I don't see any legitimate reason the park would have to do that. 

It’s only been put out as of today. It was fine last year.

Even if it isn’t intentional (I believe it is), why are they putting out defaced props and then expecting you to vote for them as the US’s best theme park Halloween event? If they can’t put care into the details then how can they earn your vote? I was at Halloween Horror Nights last week. This is better than that?

My theory is that they were told to rip Don’s name off the grave. It was stuck on enough that they just ripped off enough so it was unreadable. I don’t know that for sure, but that’s what it looks like to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think you’re being a little extreme here. We all miss Don Helbig, and it is sad that he is gone. However, why would the Kings Island employees setting up the gravestones intentionally do something like this? And why are you creating the narrative that Kings Island hates its fans? It’s not “them” against us. You kind of sound like Alex Jones saying that.

I can’t tell you how many times, even running this site, I was told to reply to various posters calling them liars if they had any kind of critique. This was countless times by countless associates.

I was told that those who made mention of the fact that SIX and SEAS had nice, indoor VIP lounges were “entitled” and should appreciate the lean-to that they built.

A former employee (not Don) told me an anecdote in which, when they were being trained to host the Gold Pass holder breakfast was told that it was their obligation because that’s what the “entitled” season passholders demand. This was a while ago, but it was an advertised perk, so it’s not like the season pass people demanded it out of nowhere.

The whole fiasco with the bait-and-switch with Prestige, without Mr Selfie or Koontz ever addressing it. That’s in addition to putting the VIP between the restroom and the very active dumpster. 

These are just some small examples that I saw myself. It is quite evident that their culture is that, the more loyal a guest is, the more they dislike them. Defacing Don’s grave doesn’t not prove that they hate you, it’s just a symptom of it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Because complaining, and creating that narrative with Kings Island on KIC has no repercussions for him. This kinda crap isn’t said on any Attractions Group or Tower Topics channels because he has skin in the game there. 

This thread is supposed to be positive, and bring up good memories of Don’s time at the park. I think out of respect for him it’s best we keep it that way. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Because complaining, and creating that narrative with Kings Island on KIC has no repercussions for him. 

It is his opinion, which he is entitled too just like you.

As for where I stand , I have no horse in this race…I have never really known Don…but it does strike me as being a huge coincidence that his tombstone is damaged. Why wouldn’t it have been repaired before it was put out? (vinyl letters aren’t that expensive.) In my opinion…and we know what that’s worth…if it was already damaged and was still put out like this, it shows little respect for a man who did so much for the park. 

I am curious, are there any other tombstones that are this damaged?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, standbyme said:

It is his opinion, which he is entitled too just like you.

As for where I stand , I have no horse in this race…I have never really known Don…but it does strike me as being a huge coincidence that his tombstone is damaged. Why wouldn’t it have been repaired before it was put out? (vinyl letters aren’t that expensive.) In my opinion…and we know what that’s worth…if it was already damaged and was still put out like this, it shows little respect for a man who did so much for the park. 

I am curious, are there any other tombstones that are this damaged?

So I guess the question is, what happens to it after a certain someone at KI reads this thread?  Will it be touched up out of respect?  Will it be removed?  Will nothing change?

• Like 1

@BoddaH1994, I do not know you personally, but coming from someone who is a casual fan of Kings Island and rollercoasters, all of your posts as of late seem to have one purpose: to go at the park and constantly say negative things about their PR or operations. ON this site, we often voice our frustrations to  certain users who always come to the parks aide (even when times they shouldnt), I see no difference with what you are doing here. I see your posts as forcing a narrative on the people on this website to try to prove a point. 

That being said, you have every right to voice your own opinions, but at some point, it does come off as beating a dead horse. I do not know what your end goals are here. It seems that you are much more upset about this than anyone else (including Don). I mean no ill will towards you at all, I just wanted to voice how your posts over the past few months have brought quite the negative outlook on the park.

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Here is my perspective:  staff are pressed for time. But there should be a process to cull damaged items to either fix or do away with. With this issue, given the subject, they should have taken the 5-10 minutes to fix it 

The motive will be clear next weekend.  If it's not fixed after this uproar, it will speak volumes to the theory of the park intentionally did this. If it's removed it still could be interpreted many ways. If it's fixed, that will allay many of these concerns about ki screwing Don Helbig. 

• Like 3

I have been told by a team member of the decorating crew that this was not intentional, not sure I 100% believe it....however....what I do believe is that it was a half @$$ed decision to put it out without being fixed/repaired. 

It's shocking to me that coming from a park that won the best haunt event last year, does not care enough to keep details pristine. How long has it been damaged?  Was this damaged during moving? Was it damage prior? Why couldn't it have been fixed before going out on park? How many of these tombstones with names on them get damaged like this each year (after year)? 

I've said it to a few before, why half @$$ something when you can whole @$$ something. If you're going to do something, do it right the first time...there is less headache later on.

Just asking questions out loud here. 

Sounds like someone just put out an old tombstone/decoration where the coloring on the name had deteriorated. I don't think there's a whole conspiracy afoot here. 

Probably some seasonal employee grabbed it from the storage area, threw it on a truck, set it out with a bunch of others, and then went about their day.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

If I remember correctly, if there were to be any new tombstones like for a ride about to be retired (which for Firehawk and Vortex there was a funeral set up in the graveyard area) that doesn't get put out until the week of the opening of Haunt likely bc they don't want anyone to see it and leak it before the actual kick off of Haunt. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Tr0y said:

The rest of the lettering was removed.

IMG_1639.jpeg

Maybe, it should be obvious in the sunlight today.  Because the letters cause the paint to fade unevenly and leave a shadow.  If that is not visible they likely just turned it around.  My guess is they turned it to face the other direction, and the letters are still there.

I saw multiple groups walking through the grass last night but I was not willing to do so myself.

• Like 2