Camp Snoopy Construction Updates

Hawaiian Coasters 325

2 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

It's not a state thing. It's a decision a park would make. 

So, considering this “webcam” practice has been done well over a decade and during your tenure can we sum up then this webcam on and off bit was a choice not by you but from GM and park presidents?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

So, considering this “webcam” practice has been done well over a decade and during your tenure can we sum up then this webcam on and off bit was a choice not by you but from GM and park presidents?

It was done during my years there. Sometimes it was my decision. Other times it may have been requested by one of the divisions at the park, or the ride manufacturer. I wanted people to see rides testing. It generates interest, excitement and anticipation. That was not a reason I turned off a webcam. Others had different thoughts on that. 

• Like 6

Nice to see all the paintwork going in, and nice to finally get details about Pigpen’s Mess Hall. A little odd to me that they just talked about it and didn’t show off any renders, but maybe they are holding that off until later. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Nice to see all the paintwork going in, and nice to finally get details about Pigpen’s Mess Hall. A little odd to me that they just talked about it and didn’t show off any renders, but maybe they are holding that off until later. 

Thought the same thing. It was kind of like "here's a hole in the ground." But more of, here's a little bit of concrete. Overall, video was done pretty well. I would have loved more details on Pigpen's Mess Hall and the Beagle Scout Acres. Nothing on Franklin's Flyers either.

• Like 3

Was Pig Pens mess hall announced with the expansion? I didn’t even know that was a thing! 
…or I just forgot about it

Food lines (especially blue ice cream) always spill onto the midways even mild crowd days. Having another quick service I hope will help crowd flow. But some permanent queues at Blue ice cream would be nice!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

Was Pig Pens mess hall announced with the expansion? I didn’t even know that was a thing! 
…or I just forgot about it

Food lines (especially blue ice cream) always spill onto the midways even mild crowd days. Having another quick service I hope will help crowd flow. But some permanent queues at Blue ice cream would be nice!

It was thrown in there in one of the updates. 

• Like 2

There was a lot of clearing done on the right side of Beagle Scout Acres, can see the picnic grove fence. Wonder if the playground will be taking up that much space outside or if it's clearing for construction purposes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Based on recent practices, I would bet they simply found it easier to just clear cut everything rather than endure the time/cost of having to work around existing trees. It's a disappointing trend.

I do not disagree. It’s also probably cheaper.

In an ironic twist, they still make sure to include the anecdote that they made every effort they could to save certain trees while building The Beast. If it were built today, the plot would look like The Voyage. 

• Like 1

The Voyage is not a good example, considering how surgically it was built in the woods back there. They basically only removed enough trees for the track and access roads, just like The Beast when it was built. Thunderbird opened things up a little more, but still not that much. The Beast has also had quite a lot more time for things to grow back in than The Voyage has so far. The Voyage, with how much forest was preserved, and how they utilized the terrain, is a lot more like The Beast than it is different. Except The Voyage is a better coaster by pretty much every conceivable metric, which should be the case given how much newer it is.

But yes, it is almost certainly cheaper to raze the entire plot when building something, since there's less need for specialized equipment, etc., for working in tight or inaccessible spaces. 

But there are ways to do it right. When CP removed WWL, whose plot was a veritable forest after more than two decades, they razed the entire plot. While shocking and sad to see at the time, this was the right move, since the coaster's layout, which is excellent, could be designed without the additional restrictions posed by existing landscape. But they did right by planting quite a lot of new trees back there.

Hopefully they do the same for this project at KI, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eric FL said:

Who has seen Kings Island's Instagram today? Two very odd story photos, is something replacing boo blasters? Is something coming in 2025 for The Vortex space?

Screenshot_20240404_171939_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20240404_171934_Instagram.jpg

One is just a throwback photo for long time KI fans who remember the old Enchanted Voyage

The second one if I were to take a guess is the train for Snoopy's Soapbox Racers which is Vekoma. Plus they said in a construction update awhile back they expect the train to arrive any day. 

• Like 2

So is this a Kings Island post or a channel twelve post?

I'm not the most media savvy guy, but these photos look thrown together and the quality looks like it was taken from a disposable camera on a cruise ship.

• Like 3

Purple, be GONE! New sign looks nice and really blends into Rivertown. That transition had been a terrible clash ever since the original Splat City installation, and made worse when the flume became part of Nick at the same time then-Reptar was built.

• Like 1

They honestly look like shots that were taken from an average enthusiast, and the lack of people around the station raises eyebrows, not to mention they didn't showcase the test run (unless that's a clearance pull through).  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm guessing it was just submitted to channel twelve. 

The lack of information has me thinking that. Why were these kids selected? Did they belong to an organization? 

The photos with a lack of description: one photo looks like the coaster was testing....was it? Did the kids get to witness the coaster testing? If so, why didn't they share that? 
The footers in front of the Camp Snoopy sign....what are they for? They seem a little high to put something directly in front of the sign. 
The picture of Linus Launcher....seems very just "here's a pic." The colors changed right? What does the color change do to tell the story? 

• Like 1

Okay, I was impressed by the sign, Woodstock paint job, and purple being removed from Linus Launcher, but I just noticed the sign is surrounded by a small section of the old Nick Universe orange-ish shaded concrete, and that bugs me a little. Would've been a good time to expand the Rivertown paver work over to meet Camp Snoopy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

The lack of excitement shows as KIC "broke the news." Yeah channel 12 had a story, but not being from the Cincinnati area, I wouldn't have known. Nothing on park socials about it....but maybe that's coming tomorrow.

It's ok, nobody in this market saw it either :P

image.png

• Like 1