Jump to content

Action Zone / DC Universe retheme?


Tr0y
 Share

Recommended Posts

Honestly, the more I think about it the more open I am to a retheme to Gotham City or especially Arkham Asylum.

The Bat: half the villains in Arkham call Batman "The Bat"

Banshee: doesn't completely fit but its close enough

Delirium: fits already with Arkham

Invertigo: Honestly, I always kind of liked Two-Face: the Flip Side as a name and its no longer in use. Is anyone actually attached to the name Invertigo? Its not even the original name. Two-Face certainly beats theming it to a movie no one saw.

Drop Tower: Not sure but pretty much any name is better than "Drop Tower."

Congo Falls: eh...don't really care what happens to that one

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Honestly, the more I think about it the more open I am to a retheme to Gotham City or especially Arkham Asylum.

The Bat: half the villains in Arkham call Batman "The Bat"

Banshee: doesn't completely fit but its close enough

Delirium: fits already with Arkham

Invertigo: Honestly, I always kind of liked Two-Face: the Flip Side as a name and its no longer in use. Is anyone actually attached to the name Invertigo? Its not even the original name. Two-Face certainly beats theming it to a movie no one saw.

Drop Tower: Not sure but pretty much any name is better than "Drop Tower."

Congo Falls: eh...don't really care what happens to that one

 

I could see Penguin or Mr. Freeze fitting with Congo Falls, whereas Riddler or Joker could work with Drop Tower.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/6/2023 at 2:25 PM, DoomPlague said:

Honestly, the more I think about it the more open I am to a retheme to Gotham City or especially Arkham Asylum.

The Bat: half the villains in Arkham call Batman "The Bat"

Banshee: doesn't completely fit but its close enough

Delirium: fits already with Arkham

Invertigo: Honestly, I always kind of liked Two-Face: the Flip Side as a name and its no longer in use. Is anyone actually attached to the name Invertigo? Its not even the original name. Two-Face certainly beats theming it to a movie no one saw.

Drop Tower: Not sure but pretty much any name is better than "Drop Tower."

Congo Falls: eh...don't really care what happens to that one

 

There was the Batman villain, Count Vertigo, who would disorient his opponents, although he's not widely known. Just thinking out loud as a possible re-theme for Invertigo.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Hey @BoddaH1994 did you realize that in Action Zone, every single coaster is below the track? There is two suspended and an inverted? 

Seems like a concrete village. It seems like it's always been that way. 

A face lift could really be good, especially if the merger goes through.

If they just themed it to concrete it would work just fine!

Make it to e NKU section! 
 

(that joke was only for a few of you :D

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I wouldn't be mad about having more known IP around the park. I personally loved when paramount had everything IP themed. I just wish there was more theming on the rides themselves to make them more entertaining. Rather than just having the character slapped up on the entryway of the ride, have it incorporated throughout the ride with sounds, decor, etc. 

 

Action Zone desperately needs something new. I wouldn't be mad abut theming rides there around it. If you really didn't wanna change Banshee and The Bat, you could always have those rides as part of a little subsection in Action Zone, or maybe add rides where wild safari used to be and make that the DC zone. idk. not likely just a random thought. 

 

I would love to see more characters in kiddie land though. Like i get it, its for kids, and you dont need much there to entertain them, but I remember when it was Nickelodeon universe (and scooby randomly) and you had characters who walked around occasionally throughout the day, you had theming and character statues all over the area. it truly felt lik a properly themed and designed kiddie land to me. Charlie brown and the Peanuts is okay, but having a whole varied cast of characters gives the area a new depth. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn’t agree more! That era where the Nick and Hannah Barbara characters coexisted was pretty special. While I wouldn’t want the park to go “full Six Flags” when it comes to IP integration, but I’d love to see more characters utilized throughout the park. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Untitled2997_20240106191654.pngI made an area concept for a Kings Island version of the DC Universe Land that’s at several Six Flags parks. I made a majority of the concepts rethemed attractions (Mostly because I don’t really want a huge IP-based land in the park and I was too lazy to go through the effort.) 

Banshee- Blue Beetle

Congo Falls- Swamp Thing’s Plunge

Delirium- Starro

Invertigo- Reverse Flash

The Bat- The Batman

In Xtreme Skyflyer’s Section I put ‘Battle For Gotham: DC Heroes Collide’, which would be a mix of the DC shooter ride that’s at Six Flags parks already and the Spider-Man Ride at Islands of Adventure. I made a basic ride layout for this since it would be the only attraction I’d be excited for if it was added to the park.

Untitled2999_20240106202139.png

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

No just no. Please don't retheme Banshee. The name is significant for the park and that sign is iconic. I'd hate to lose it. Also please don't get rid of Drop Tower. I would rather it get rethemed to Lex Luthor Drop of Doom or something. I think Timberwolf would be a good spot for a justice league dark ride. 

I agree. In fact, I think the ride is such a staple that the area around it should get rethemed to match Banshee instead of the other way around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only person who LIKES the DC themes Six Flags uses? I loved DC and Looney Tunes as a kid to the point where I read the comics, and I still do today. I'm the only one who cares about riding a coaster because of its superhero name, at least for enthusiasts. And I'm glad.

On 11/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, KIBeast said:

There was the Batman villain, Count Vertigo, who would disorient his opponents, although he's not widely known. Just thinking out loud as a possible re-theme for Invertigo.

He was voiced by Steven Blum in Young Justice!

Edited by YuYuYuuki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/3/2023 at 4:14 PM, KingsIsland1972 said:

I really hope that KI keeps their lowkey and simple theming as it is.  THAT'S what will distinguish us from every other copycat Theme Park.  I don't need DC or anything else rammed down my throat.  We already get the numbers.  If anything....bring back a "Resurrection Grave Yard" of all the classic favorites.  I've been pushing for this for years.  All new construction, but bring back King Cobra, Firehawk...  Add a movie theatre, roller skating and park benches for the park watchers and older folk who just would love to sit and relax.   That's all I have to say about that.  

i actually do really like this graveyard idea. would be cool and could make all the rides fit well theme wise. not so sure about the roller skating stuff and theater but hey if it could work it could work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Would prefer any theme to be NOT linked to specific media franchises. Sure the ship has sailed, but I've always pulled for re-upping the German theme of that area and have AZ have a black forest theme.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s an awful mindless theme.   Additionally, I don’t know why Six Flags is so big on this ugly theme because they have to pay licensing fees for it.
 

they set the ground work long ago for a Transylvania of Action Zone with Banshee and Bat.   They should finish that job. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2024 at 11:58 PM, super7 said:

 

they set the ground work long ago for a Transylvania of Action Zone with Banshee and Bat.   They should finish that job. 

That could be a great theme—and one of the reasons why the area I’m looking most forward to at Epic Universe is the Dark Universe classic monsters area. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2024 at 11:58 PM, super7 said:

It’s an awful mindless theme.   Additionally, I don’t know why Six Flags is so big on this ugly theme because they have to pay licensing fees for it.

Six Flags was once owned by Warner Bros., so they're allowed to use the license as long as they want. In addition, Warner is closely involved with the rides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't operate on the assumption that the Cedar Fair parks will utilize the DC Comics or Looney Tunes theming. Six Flags' licensing deal is written so that Six Flags pays for the licenses on a per park basis.

Remember that the rights are not to the DC characters as presented in the DC universe movies today, but as presented in the comics which is undoubtedly less relevant in the short-term. I just don't see much of a value proposition there. Even if the additional cost for the license for additional parks is super low, the cost for effective theming would be high. There might be some additional merchandise sales, but DC gets a good chunk of that revenue.

 

Licensing deals for theming make sense to me in three cases, none of which apply well to the Cedar Fair parks:

1) Kids' areas: Kids love theming to their favorite characters, and they always have. With a few exceptions such as Dollywood this is almost a requirement for a good kids' area these days. I don't see Looney Tunes or Marvel being more relevant enough to retheme all their Planet/Camp Snoopy areas. 

2) The park is owned by the same company who owns the characters/media franchise: When Time Warner owned the Six parks they also owned Looney Tunes and DC. It was in their best interest to promote their characters because the benefits of doing so made them money even outside the parks and strengthened their brand. Promoting Batman or Bugs Bunny would not benefit the combined Six Flags & Cedar Fair in this way.

3) The theming is very immersive, and guests visit infrequently: Although some improvements have been made on this front from the old days of Cedar Fair, theming at their parks is more about a story and using your imagination than full-fledged immersion in another world. This is not a knock; it's just business. There is a limited market for the level of theming that Disney and Universal offer. Although the parks are always packed, they sit at the extreme high end of pricing and draw from a worldwide customer base. Visits are infrequent or special occasions. Infrequent visits mean that people tire of theming and the stories involved slower. Seasonal parks are the opposite- they cater to a broad base of customers at a price point. They focus on people from within their region and value repeat visits. Theming elements age more quickly since frequent guests learn everything about the theming and anticipate it. This means theming needs to be revamped often to remain interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, KI Guy said:

Don't operate on the assumption that the Cedar Fair parks will utilize the DC Comics or Looney Tunes theming. Six Flags' licensing deal is written so that Six Flags pays for the licenses on a per park basis.

Remember that the rights are not to the DC characters as presented in the DC universe movies today, but as presented in the comics which is undoubtedly less relevant in the short-term. I just don't see much of a value proposition there. Even if the additional cost for the license for additional parks is super low, the cost for effective theming would be high. There might be some additional merchandise sales, but DC gets a good chunk of that revenue.

 

Licensing deals for theming make sense to me in three cases, none of which apply well to the Cedar Fair parks:

1) Kids' areas: Kids love theming to their favorite characters, and they always have. With a few exceptions such as Dollywood this is almost a requirement for a good kids' area these days. I don't see Looney Tunes or Marvel being more relevant enough to retheme all their Planet/Camp Snoopy areas. 

2) The park is owned by the same company who owns the characters/media franchise: When Time Warner owned the Six parks they also owned Looney Tunes and DC. It was in their best interest to promote their characters because the benefits of doing so made them money even outside the parks and strengthened their brand. Promoting Batman or Bugs Bunny would not benefit the combined Six Flags & Cedar Fair in this way.

3) The theming is very immersive, and guests visit infrequently: Although some improvements have been made on this front from the old days of Cedar Fair, theming at their parks is more about a story and using your imagination than full-fledged immersion in another world. This is not a knock; it's just business. There is a limited market for the level of theming that Disney and Universal offer. Although the parks are always packed, they sit at the extreme high end of pricing and draw from a worldwide customer base. Visits are infrequent or special occasions. Infrequent visits mean that people tire of theming and the stories involved slower. Seasonal parks are the opposite- they cater to a broad base of customers at a price point. They focus on people from within their region and value repeat visits. Theming elements age more quickly since frequent guests learn everything about the theming and anticipate it. This means theming needs to be revamped often to remain interesting.

Hans a Vekoma Madhouse with it's endless themeing and story telling, draws people in.  Not only for the unique ride experience, but also the story that makes it better than anything else you would've find inside of Disney or Universal parks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the easiest re-theme would be The Bat turning into something Batman related, which I wouldn't mind. Perhaps the tunnel with the American Flag, can turn into The Bat Cave and Batman theme in the que, that I actually wouldn't mind, I'd say leave Banshee alone that theming is perfect. Invertigo can be turned into a Two Face (Batman) themed ride. And Delirum I can see it turning into some Green Lantern themed ride. But these are just my ideas...:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2023 at 4:59 PM, Driver8rws said:

Why would they NOT use DC?

They (now) own the rights to it! 

They would be crazy not to use it. 

Probably a reason they bought Six Flags! 

 

Also, 

I would MUCH rather have Looney Toons for the kids areas rather than the lame, boring, Charlie Brown crap that no kid even knows what the heck it even is.

One of the lamest things that Cedar Fair partnered with...

Kids love Charlie Brown and Peanuts. My kids instantly know who Snoopy is; there's a built-in audience that watches Peanuts each Christmas. There have been several Peanuts movies and TV shows, and an ongoing Apple+ TV series. I loved the Looney Tunes as a kid, but WB has been burying them lately. They pulled a bunch of classic cartoons from Max; their new series (which was good!) hasn't made much of a dent. And the only thing they've had is Space Jam 2, which is awful. 

 

I'm sure eventually we'll get DC and Looney Tunes IP in the parks as this CF parks make their horrible transition to Six Flags (god, I hate this). I don't really mind the DC stuff in Action Zone...at least it would be a theme. But Peanuts is a charming area; I'd hate to lose that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apart from the obvious logo swaps and color changes, I think walling-in the station to look like it's in a cave would easily turn The Bat into The Batman. Truth be told, I don't want the name to change; I simply want something done about the theming. The OG Bat was "Old School Horror" (namely the victorian house and bats) while the "new" Bat is currently "We lost the rights to Top Gun."  I've wanted some sort of bat cave theming for the ride ever since they swapped the name from Flight Deck and it probably wouldn't take much for me; a few rubber bats and some fake cobwebs would do the trick. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...