Man Struck By Roller Coaster at Kings Island Today

BoddaH1994

I feel terrible for the ride crews and security as they have to deal with it.  Can you imagine the feelings of the ride ops when they either saw him break the barrier and then heard about it? Folks are also speaking of the responders.  I'm less concerned about them as this is a routine issue for them...not a roller coaster, but they see auto collisions, tractor rollovers, motorcycle and ATV accidents, stabbings, gun shots and burns on the regular. I've taken care of trauma patients in the hospital. Once they've been brought in and it's the same way.  You do your job and move on. Unfortunately, there are so many. To release the stress, you vent to your coworkers and some drink.

I do not envy first responders at all. I could never do what they do every day. A big thank you from me to anyone who is a first responder or takes care of trauma victims. You are making a difference in the world and dealing with situations I'd never be able to fathom 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I feel terrible for the ride crews and security as they have to deal with it.  Can you imagine the feelings of the ride ops when they either saw him break the barrier and then heard about it? Folks are also speaking of the responders.  I'm less concerned about them as this is a routine issue for them...not a roller coaster, but they see auto collisions, tractor rollovers, motorcycle and ATV accidents, stabbings, gun shots and burns on the regular. I've taken care of trauma patients in the hospital once they've been brought in and it's the same way.  You do your job and move on. Unfortunately, there are so many. To release the stress, you vent to your coworkers and some drink.

Many of the ride operators have likely not even been to a family funeral yet. It's going to be a lot of trauma for them to process. Even ones not working Banshee at the time. It's something that will be with them through life.

On other comments I doubt anyone else was injured. If they were it would have been mentioned over scanner traffic and it would be known with or without a park statement.

28 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

Does anyone know where he was laying when sighted? I'm assuming he didn't make it to far from the point of impact. If it was in the PRETZEL SECTION he was very deep into restricted areas

Someone said they saw the person lying down near the end of the ride. If I had to guess, it was probably around the second vertical loop.

I was wondering how one gets back there w/o being noticed, but I was thinking of the fences by the front of the ride where it seems like the fence isn't easily climbable and would be noticeable to many people.  Since it happened back in the pretzel loop/vertical loop (?) portion near the end where the ride comes pretty close to the ground 3 times he must have worked his way over a fence somewhere over by SOB/The Bat ques.  There are several spots there that would be easy to get over the fence/hedges.  What precautions lie beyond those clearly identifiable ques and the service road I don't know.  Once you are on the access road, getting to the fence around the low areas appears to be easy, and based upon the POV, the fences appear to be little more than the standard chain link fence, maybe 6-8 tall, but easily climbable (though I'm sure well marked) if someone was determined.

Hopefully this guy can make a full recovery; unfortunately his asshatery is likely going to cost the park money and require even more idiot proofing of all parks down the road.  If it was a set of keys that were dropped, that seems like a potentially challenging item to find depending on how recently that grass has been mowed.

cargo pants with zippers is the answer folks, its not that difficult, but I'm guessing we are going to start seeing metal detectors and short term "ride" lockers like universal has (not to mention steel vengence and other rides).  The ones at Universal are quite easy to manage/use.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, medford said:

cargo pants with zippers is the answer folks, its not that difficult, but I'm guessing we are going to start seeing metal detectors and short term "ride" lockers like universal has (not to mention steel vengence and other rides).  The ones at Universal are quite easy to manage/use.

I was very excited when I realized Costco was selling some stretchy shorts with zipped front pockets, and a 3rd zipped "cargo" pocket. Nothing for the single back pocket however. My go-to for Amusement Parks now, in addition to a bumbag which apparently allowed on most coasters now, so long as it is around my waist.

Interestingly enough Banshee last week actually made me take my glasses off and put them in my pocket because I didn't have a strap. First time they ever mentioned it, I've worn them on Banshee many times without issues from the crew, or the ride.

2 hours ago, medford said:

I was wondering how one gets back there w/o being noticed, but I was thinking of the fences by the front of the ride where it seems like the fence isn't easily climbable and would be noticeable to many people.  Since it happened back in the pretzel loop/vertical loop (?) portion near the end where the ride comes pretty close to the ground 3 times he must have worked his way over a fence somewhere over by SOB/The Bat ques.  There are several spots there that would be easy to get over the fence/hedges.  What precautions lie beyond those clearly identifiable ques and the service road I don't know.  Once you are on the access road, getting to the fence around the low areas appears to be easy, and based upon the POV, the fences appear to be little more than the standard chain link fence, maybe 6-8 tall, but easily climbable (though I'm sure well marked) if someone was determined.

Hopefully this guy can make a full recovery; unfortunately his asshatery is likely going to cost the park money and require even more idiot proofing of all parks down the road.  If it was a set of keys that were dropped, that seems like a potentially challenging item to find depending on how recently that grass has been mowed.

I doubt we'll see an investment in metal detectors and lockers over this unless they were already tired of people losing items on Banshee in general (which might well be the case I suppose). This sort of incident is rare and I would think they would first look to improve the security of lockout zones. I had the same thought about where he got in. Basically there's no one watching that area by the old SOB station and few guests go out there. I've had times where I walked through the tunnel towards The Bat and there wasn't a single soul in sight.

• Like 1

If they follow Cedar Point's lead after the Raptor incident, they will change nothing. It was reported that this park publicly stated they were in state compliance and exceeded industry standards. If they make changes expost facto, and they were in compliance, it implies they were negligent and opens the door to a lawsuit...which we know would be frivolous, but judges and juries might think others. 

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/2016/02/cedar_point_wont_raise_fence_i.html

• Like 3

2 hours ago, medford said:

unfortunately his asshatery is likely going to cost the park money and require even more idiot proofing of all parks down the road.  If it was a set of keys that were dropped, that seems like a potentially challenging item to find depending on how recently that grass has been mowed.

Not necessarily. After James Young died (Raptor) Cedar Point didn't make any changes

Family lives about 12 miles from my house; he actually taught at my daughter's elementary school. For a time the family was prepping to sue Cedar Point, but on what grounds I have absolutely no idea. Lots of articles and interviews around here just describe the family as "dumbfounded" as to why he would do such a thing. 

Sounds like the only change they might need to make would be to, you know, maybe lock the door that he allegedly walked through. 

3 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

I doubt we'll see an investment in metal detectors and lockers over this unless they were already tired of people losing items on Banshee in general (which might well be the case I suppose). This sort of incident is rare and I would think they would first look to improve the security of lockout zones. I had the same thought about where he got in. Basically there's no one watching that area by the old SOB station and few guests go out there. I've had times where I walked through the tunnel towards The Bat and there wasn't a single soul in sight.

I currently work in that area (Won’t say what department for privacy reasons) and it is at times almost concerningly easy to get back there if our crew isn’t in our area working. To the point that sometimes we worry about it when we leave; but we’ve also never seen anyone stupid enough to do it. We use those service roads near daily and have always had the system of ‘guests couldn’t be that reckless, could they?’ and, well… :/

Sigh. I was just thinking about spending money on another visit to KI (I don't have a season pass anymore so I'd have to buy a daily ticket) and no sooner than I started thinking about this, I saw this news story developing via Facebook. I think that may be a sign from above for me to skip it. My thoughts are with the crew who has to deal with this along with the riders on the train that struck this idiot.

7 hours ago, Stoan said:

I was very excited when I realized Costco was selling some stretchy shorts with zipped front pockets, and a 3rd zipped "cargo" pocket. Nothing for the single back pocket however. My go-to for Amusement Parks now, in addition to a bumbag which apparently allowed on most coasters now, so long as it is around my waist.

I'm a big fan of these shorts on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QYFNMV8 Four zippered pockets (both rear pockets and both cargo pockets), lightweight and quick drying. I just recently bought my third pair of the same shorts after I damaged one of the two I already had. In addition to being the perfect shorts for anything where I need to secure items (e.g. ziplining, high ropes course, etc.), they've slowly become my go-to shorts for daily wear in the summer as well.

https://local12.com/news/local/we-hit-something-kings-island-employee-talks-about-roller-coaster-hitting-guest-rollercoaster-ride-mason-warren-county-amusement-park-accident-wreck-restricted-area-injured-hospitalized-speed-Banshee-diamonback-the-beast-cedar-point-coaster-investigation

Prayers go out to the front row passengers who sustained injuries during the incident. Thankfully it doesn't sound like any life altering injuries among the passengers but I'm sure there's also some emotional trauma attached to knowing what happened. 

• Like 2

This is truly a sad event.

I just cannot wrap my head around thinking it's ok to climb over fencing with obvious warning signs and a coaster train traveling almost 70mph, to find your keys that were lost while riding. I always have worn zip pocket pants/shorts when I go to any amusement park since lost my wallet once at KI (very luckily I found it in the following train). Learned a lesson that day a long time ago. Secure everything in a zipper pocket when riding and check that everything is zipped up right before getting on a ride.

I have seen a couple of horrible accidents, and I witnessed a truly tragic loss of a very young life when I was a teenager in my neighborhood when a little girl got hit by a car. It is an indescribable event and truly horrific. The lady that hit the girl was beyond grief, shock and heartbreaking emotions you rarely see. There was no time for her to react since the girl ran right out in front of her. Me and my friends were in complete shock. Even the first responders were hit hard by what happened. It is a rough story to read I know. But, my point is, once you witness something like that, it will always be there in your mind. So, I feel for the employees, riders, first responders or anyone there having to live through something of that magnitude. It stays with you forever. I truly hope the man who is fighting for his life survives and recovers as best he can. One lapse of judgement, so hopefully he pulls through.

Those warning signs are there for a reason, but like the employee in the interview said...if someone wants to really get back there, there is no stopping them. People seem to think sometimes they can break rules, oblivious to the danger to themselves for things that just can wait and not worth being critically injured or killed over. 

• Like 1

It's so sad, because he's a human being who I hope makes a full recovery. It's also senseless and stupid, because any rational human would know to stay out of those areas where a high-speed roller coaster is passing. My only thought must be that he underestimated how much time he would have to run and grab his keys before the next train came. 

When I go to the park, I always have my glasses strapped on tight. Even so, I keep a spare pair in the car. Keys always go in a cargo pocket or my wife's purse (which is then usually in a locker). 

One way the parks could avoid this is to find a way to implement free lockers while people are on the rides, like they do at Universal. I don't know how it would work at Kings Island (Universal, you use your express pass/park ticket) because the system would require a timer with the various rides to sync up with wait times. But honestly, at Universal, knowing we have those lockers and that they're required (some IOA lines have metal detectors) is a good thing. And because it's so standard on every ride, we get into the rhythm. KI would need more lockers and more room...but since my thought is people don't mess with lockers because they don't want do deal with the cost/trek from the lockers to the ride, installing closer free lockers by these rides would be a help. 

But they didn't want to do free lockers with TT2 at Cedar Point, so my guess is it won't happen.  

I agree that free lockers would be a step in the right direction.  However, the real issue comes with people actually using them.  Unfortunately, the same mindset that allows a person to think it's okay to bypass several security barriers because they don't believe it will happen to them is the exact same mindset that keeps the same person from using a free locker to secure their belongings.  Unless they mandate empty (or zippered) pockets, the free lockers won't fix the issue by themselves.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Born_in_'72 said:

I agree that free lockers would be a step in the right direction.  However, the real issue comes with people actually using them.  Unfortunately, the same mindset that allows a person to think it's okay to bypass several security barriers because they don't believe it will happen to them is the exact same mindset that keeps the same person from using a free locker to secure their belongings.  Unless they mandate empty (or zippered) pockets, the free lockers won't fix the issue by themselves.

Even then stuff will get missed unless they literally are patting people down or making people turn their pockets out. Even zipper bags don't work. TR:TR had them and it was still the ride with the most loose articles even though it had the most aggressive free securing option and had employees taking large items and probably the most aggressive loose article spiels in amusement history.

21 hours ago, Stoan said:

Interestingly enough Banshee last week actually made me take my glasses off and put them in my pocket because I didn't have a strap. First time they ever mentioned it, I've worn them on Banshee many times without issues from the crew, or the ride.

Seperator mentioned putting mine in my pocket and I didn't get stopped by the people in the restraints and on platform. So I just chalked it up to her trying to be friendly and help me not lose them vs. an actual policy. My glasses will get broken in my pocket and likely have a better chance at slipping out than just on my face. I can at least attest to how well they stay on my face and I didn't even like riding TTD with them on a strap because I still felt like they could come off or Raptor/Rougarou because of the headbanging.

I hope the injured guest makes it.  I also hope those who had to witness/ be part of the accident are not crazy traumatized.

That being said, so many people just want to buck the rules because "they can't tell me what to do" or "I'm better than that".  It has become a plague on society.  People just cannot police themselves anymore.

I'm to the point that every ride should require all loose items be put in lockers.  Larger/ more popular rides should have metal detectors near the ride platform.  If you are found with loose items, you need to get out of line, put your items away & wait again from the end.  Yes, it's drastic but nothing else is working with guests.

Now....the cost.  Parks need to have "moveable lockers" for a nominal fee ($5-$10?) and using a personal code can access any locker from any ride.  Make the lockers large enough for purses, stuffed animals, medical bags, etc.  Groups/ families can all share a locker.  I know there are tons of logistics involved & that I'm completely dumbing it down but until something changes, these accidents (not only a guest jumping a fence) but accidents of phones flying through the air, rides being stopped because a guest has a phone out, and guests losing items like keys & wallets etc. are only going to continue. 

The cost for the park will be substantial, but the cost of bad media (let's face it, more than 50% of those that saw the headline only read "Man Struck By Rollercoaster at Kings Island and believe KI is unsafe), the cost of settling out of court is not cheap either.

Also- if the injured guest survives, wait till the media & public fallout when he is charged with trespassing.  The family of the guest will likely sue KI and the best defense is- he trespassed. 

• Like 1

I’m in the camp of, “be prepared.” If you have valuable articles, then come to the park with a running belt, cargo shorts, shirts with front pockets, etc. I have no clue what this guy was wearing so I cannot judge but there will always be a chance that any possession you have might fall off. This isn’t the first time someone’s lost something on a ride and it won’t be the last, even if lockers are available. 

This is just a horrible incident and a cautionary tale of what happens when you go into a restricted area. I really hope the guy pulls through and my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family as well as everyone involved. I just hope people learn, no item is worth it.

On 6/20/2024 at 1:11 PM, johnjniehaus said:

I do not envy first responders at all. I could never do what they do every day. A big thank you from me to anyone who is a first responder or takes care of trauma victims. You are making a difference in the world and dealing with situations I'd never be able to fathom 

After you do it for a long time, it just becomes another day along the way. Yes, the more significant emergencies stay with you, they just fade to the back of your mind with time.

24 years ago when I started, wasn’t like it is today. We didn’t have peer support teams and people you could talk to if you were having issues after an incident. With the emergence of PTSD & “burn out” as real things along the way, all of that has changed drastically in about the last 5 years.

• Like 3

Que Times has it listed open but a user says it is closed. Anyone at the park able to confirm which is correct? I will be at the park tomorrow and thus would like to know this too.