RiverRacers coming to Soak City in 2025

Kings Island announced that it will debut Ohio's first-ever and only dual-racing water coaster, the "RiverRacers." Officials also announced the riverside-themed kids' play area "Splash River Junction" will be expanded, with the addition of seven new kids' water slides, as well as hundreds of new loungers and chairs that will offer guests seating options in both the sun and shade.

eb3b2df2-f0b7-42c3-a9b7-65f1adb94f0d-Ride2.webp

Looks like Local 12 got the news out before the park did. A dual-racing water coaster named RiverRacers! Also Bluegill Lagoon is now Splash River Junction with seven new kids slides and more seating! 

https://local12.com/news/local/kings-island-riverracers-splash-river-junction-soak-city-unveils-all-new-racing-water-coaster-2025-season-greater-cincinnati-six-flags-cedar-fair-newest-rides-consumer-mason-amusement-parks-slide-loungers-chairs-seating-expanded-area-summer-summertime?-fbpost&fbclid=IwY2xjawEheJNleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHYMGfh1HAEMl3fOK0Sc8y1X_5Wuk66ntnSRXAAwDW3UQw1tScN0ak3ojOA_aem_2k6Fe50lFtYdQeGt1Flhog

6930a1db-3093-4b54-bab7-7da07e7232ca-Ride.webp

cd5ffb25-31ce-4de4-9d84-3a817f1bb6db-Ride3.webp

• Like 7

So… another new “theme” added to a beach-themed water park for no real reson. Sounds about right. I’m not impressed with the leadership direction these days and this underscores it. The water park “theme” wasn’t great, and the kids area needed a refresh, but to just randomly go off in a new “RiverCountry” direction makes no sense. 

• Like 1

Not a water park person, but this looks like a great addition to the area. It doesn't solve the overall problem that plagues Soak City, which is concrete. But until they invest the money to completely reinvent and retheme the water park, this will do.  Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Could they have been more nonchalant about the announcement?  It just reads to me like "yeah, we are giving the water park some stuff, we know you'll like it, but we gotta get Haunt stuff set up."

And they either need to use chatgpt to write their copy, or have another layer of proof reading.  Look at the last sentence:

Screenshot_20240808-063805.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JubJester said:

Kings Island announced that it will debut Ohio's first-ever and only dual-racing water coaster, the "RiverRacers." Officials also announced the riverside-themed kids' play area "Splash River Junction" will be expanded, with the addition of seven new kids' water slides, as well as hundreds of new loungers and chairs that will offer guests seating options in both the sun and shade.

eb3b2df2-f0b7-42c3-a9b7-65f1adb94f0d-Ride2.webp

Looks like Local 12 got the news out before the park did. A dual-racing water coaster named RiverRacers! Also Bluegill Lagoon is now Splash River Junction with seven new kids slides and more seating! 

https://local12.com/news/local/kings-island-riverracers-splash-river-junction-soak-city-unveils-all-new-racing-water-coaster-2025-season-greater-cincinnati-six-flags-cedar-fair-newest-rides-consumer-mason-amusement-parks-slide-loungers-chairs-seating-expanded-area-summer-summertime?-fbpost&fbclid=IwY2xjawEheJNleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHYMGfh1HAEMl3fOK0Sc8y1X_5Wuk66ntnSRXAAwDW3UQw1tScN0ak3ojOA_aem_2k6Fe50lFtYdQeGt1Flhog

6930a1db-3093-4b54-bab7-7da07e7232ca-Ride.webp

cd5ffb25-31ce-4de4-9d84-3a817f1bb6db-Ride3.webp

This is a perfect addition for Soak City! I just love the color scheme of RiverRacers. It’s really going to pop on the skyline. I also really like the splash river junction expansion. I’ve been calling for a family set of water slides and that is an amazing addition. Well done KI!

• Like 1

I love how they decided to not only install a much needed water coaster, but they chose a dual-racing one. I really need to spend some time in Soak City. This might be the thing that brings me back to that side of the park.

• Like 1

To say that this theme was out of left field is an understatement. I was expecting either a full SC retheme with this or a continuation of the theme we had in the past. While yes there are plenty of coastal villages with rivers, to go with what I would see as a RiverTown style was out of left field.

My only concern is the bathrooms on the far side of the waterpark, which is arguably the best place to change as no one uses them so it's easy in easy out. If they get rid of those facilities then the only bathrooms available are on the far side near the entrances. Which at the end of the day, for both guests and associates alike that's going to put a major strain on the other facilities that I would be concerned about. 

The addition itself was needed, I'm excited to ride in 25, hopefully we get more trees and foliage too as we desperately need more shade!

• Like 2

The coaster says it's 530 feet long. Is that per side? Cheetah Chase is 1700 feet long, so you'd think if this one is 530' per side, the park would advertise its (longer) length? smh.

Some signage from the waterpark, ironically slapped smack dab in the middle of the main causeway to the other side of the waterpark.

IMG_2323.jpeg

IMG_2324.jpeg

IMG_2325.jpeg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Gabe said:

The coaster says it's 530 feet long. Is that per side? Cheetah Chase is 1700 feet long, so you'd think if this one is 530' per side, the park would advertise its (longer) length? smh.

I would have to assume that is per side. There is no way each side is only 265 feet. Based on the statistics they gave of height and angle, the first drop would take up 45 ft. of that so half of the ride would just be that first drop and uphill section, there is too much tube after for that. But with other parks advertising the combined length I agree that I'm surprised they didn't go with that number to make it seem longer, but prefer this as it is more honest of the actual experience. 

Overall with the river theming for these new additions I hope this might be the start of an overall retheme of the waterpark. Would love to see it get it's own unique theme like some of the others. Maybe rename it Miami River Works or something along those lines. Give it a fresh look and add some more trees as well.

• Like 2

Another piece of signage infront of the actual location for River Racers. They also added checkered flags on the main sign as well!

IMG_2332.jpeg
Should anyone wish to use these photos please feel free to! Just credit me in one way or another!

• Like 2

<bump>

Something that has popped up a lot in conversations with friends (and as well on Tower Topics that I practically listen to every day it drops at this point) is the lack of a tube lift. Just wanted to throw it out there that adding a tube lift adds extra mechanisms that the park would have to maintain to operate the attraction. Zoom Flume around 10 years ago got a new lift system because the old one was having so many issues. Speaking from first hand experience, the lifts cause more long term needs that the park is probably trying to mitigate. Sure, the tubes are probably bulky however from a park maintenance/operations standpoint it is eliminating the need of having someone actively put tubes on the lift, maintain the lift, and better yet it will make it so that guests aren't waiting for tubes to arrive, they should have the tube ready to go. This, in theory, should make wait times less and as well help the park with staffing issues (which is ironic as they have had 2-3 in water positions to assist guests and yet they can't have both sides of Thunder Falls in operation)

• Like 1

Just throwing this out, KI’s model is modified layout to allow the rafts to cross the finish line besides each other. The second launch was replaced with a high speed turn and airtime drop.

IMG_7556.png

It’s cool to note that from all the published information, this water coaster appears to be the steepest, fastest, and have the largest drop.

• Like 3

There are 2 different ways water coasters work.

The one KI is getting uses water jets and probably needs lighter loads to work.

Then there are ones like Wildebeest and Mammoth which use magnets that are much heavier and require lifts. 

I was hoping for something slightly longer with 2-3 more uphill sections, but I'm pretty happy with it as is.  Soak City was due for an update.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I didn't know not carrying your tube was a prerequisite to one being a water coaster? 

I’ve never ridden of heard of a coaster that requires you to carry the vehicle you rode in.

Slides require you to carry a tube.

^First, the water coasters you see in water parks (not the ones made by Mack and Intamin that are actually roller coasters) are more akin to slides that just happen to have uphill sections.  They're called coasters for advertising purposes. 

2nd, if you're really getting pedantic about it being a coaster based on having to carry the vehicle up, most early coasters before chain lifts were common had to have the cars pushed up by hand or used pulleys.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^First, the water coasters you see in water parks (not the ones made by Mack and Intamin that are actually roller coasters) are more akin to slides that just happen to have uphill sections.  They're called coasters for advertising purposes. 

2nd, if you're really getting pedantic about it being a coaster based on having to carry the vehicle up, most early coasters before chain lifts were common had to have the cars pushed up by hand or used pulleys.  

So we are in agreeance, It’s not a water coaster.

^Not exactly as I still call all the versions water coasters.  Like, I wouldn't add River Racers to my coaster count, but it's still the water park version of a water coaster plus the manufacturer, WhiteWater West, calls their Master Blaster product a water coaster. Link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

“Not exactly as I still call all the versions water coasters.  Like, I wouldn't add River Racers to my coaster count”

So it’s not a water coaster if you’re not even willing to count it. Lol

Either way, some would call this a straw-man argument and to some degree that may be true. This is a good addition no doubt, however for a “Water coaster” it misses the mark in my opinion.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tr0y said:

So it’s not a water coaster if you’re not even willing to count it. Lol

Either way, some would call this a straw-man argument and to some degree that may be true. This is a good addition no doubt, however for a “Water coaster” it misses the mark in my opinion.

Water coasters in their simplest forms are slides, in which a tube or some form of vehicle like a mat, is propelled up a hill with some form of propulsion in contrast to traditional water slides that rely strictly on gravity and do not have propulsion up hill. To nit pick what constitute a water coaster as bringing tubes to the station is simply put is flawed. I've been to several waterparks, I have been on several water coasters, I'm probably one of the few people who actually counts their water side credits. You can have Infinity Master Blasters, Master Blasters that end and you have to pick up your tube and you could also go the ProSlide route which has a station and lift like what you get at Holiday World's attractions. 

I didn't hear anyone pipe up about the fact that MASSIV, which was touted as the world's TALLEST water coaster, you had to carry your tubes up to the station, thus disqualifying it from being a water coaster. Extreme Water Slide | MASSIV Monster Blaster | Schlitterbahn Galveston . But wait, there's more! Even White Water West, the producer of this new water coaster and MASSIV, has MASSIV on their website as a water coaster, the Master Blaster Model. Master Blaster Water Slide - The World's First Uphill Water Coaster (whitewaterwest.com) . The langua franca of the water park scape is different than what you have in the parks. Just like how you have B&M's and Intamin, you have White Water West and ProSlide Technologies. 

If you're looking at this as "hey this is a new coaster credit" don't, it's not a roller coaster, which necessitates different parameters to be considered as an actual roller coaster.  It's a slide, called a water coaster, it doesn't mean Aqua Trax, which is entirely different. 

• Like 5