Kings Island next coaster survey 2024

WoodVengeance

I do not think this has been said, but the Giga dive coaster was sent out to Carowinds and Cedar Point in their survey as well. Personally I think a spinning coaster would be awesome to see for the park and would draw in people from up in Northern Ohio, since it is something unique that Cedar Point does not have in their line up.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I personally don’t think the GP will look at a Giga Dive and go “oh great, another B&M.”

That’s true however, they already do notice that Orion, Diamondback, and Banshee all feel somewhat similar even with different ride layouts.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I know it's not a outdoor and indoor coaster like the survey said,  But I wanted to see a recreated version of Opryland's CHAOS.
CHAOS background.png

That was such a well themed and awesome coaster.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SmartCat7162 said:

I do not think this has been said, but the Giga dive coaster was sent out to Carowinds and Cedar Point in their survey as well. Personally I think a spinning coaster would be awesome to see for the park and would draw in people from up in Northern Ohio, since it is something unique that Cedar Point does not have in their line up.

The Cedar Point one did not have the giga dive on it. Instead it had a Vekoma tilt coaster on it as well as a launched water coaster I think. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

That’s another good coaster, that drop track gets me every time. :P

It was, hands down (or arms up as the case may be) my favorite new coaster in 2023 for me. It has stayed in my informal top ten even after the recency bias has faded. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The Cedar Point one did not have the giga dive on it. Instead it had a Vekoma tilt coaster on it as well as a launched water coaster I think. 

I think it would make the most sense for Carowinds to receive the giga dive, Kings Island to get a spinning coaster, and Cedar Point getting the family thrill coaster. Cedar Point doesn’t have a family launch coaster in their line up if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I think it would make the most sense for Carowinds to receive the giga dive, Kings Island to get a spinning coaster, and Cedar Point getting the family thrill coaster. Cedar Point doesn’t have a family launch coaster in their line up if I remember correctly.

That's what I was thinking too. This might sound like weird reasoning, but if this proposed giga dive was 300ft on the mark, I think it would fit Carowinds better as it wouldn't really interfere with Fury 325 being the tallest coaster in the park, whereas it would take that title from Orion if it were to go to Kings Island. I could also see Cedar Point getting that tilt coaster since they were the only park that had it in their survey.

• Like 2

How long does it take to go from "lets build this" to 1st rider?  I was always under the impression that it was a 4-5 year time frame from when they decided what they wanted to build (or started collecting ideas) to getting funding, to getting plans approved, to install to 1st rider.  If you believe that KI's next major coaster is coming in 2026 anything out of these survey's wouldn't have much of an impact, if any on something that would be built starting next season.

So what kind of major coaster that would plug a hole in KI's lineup isn't on that list?  Seems to me like a winged coaster with several inversion on Vortex's lot would be not only a good replacement for Vortex but also fill in some holes in KI"s lineup and with GateKeeper being as old as it is, not taking away from a similar concept already in the chain nearby.  Add a launch aspect to like they have at Holiday World and it adds a twist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, medford said:

How long does it take to go from "lets build this" to 1st rider?  I was always under the impression that it was a 4-5 year time frame from when they decided what they wanted to build (or started collecting ideas) to getting funding, to getting plans approved, to install to 1st rider.  If you believe that KI's next major coaster is coming in 2026 anything out of these survey's wouldn't have much of an impact, if any on something that would be built starting next season.

A real-life example for you... Cedar Fair bought Paramount Parks in May 2006, announced Behemoth for Canada's Wonderland in Summer 2007, and had it opened by May 2008 just under two years from the official acquisition date. According to the sources on their Wikipedia page they committed to buy Behemoth within a few months of the purchase of the park. So, a proven model of a major coaster can be fully completed in under two years if they really want to do it. I can't imagine they can work much faster than that (without spending an excessive amount of money), as I know Cedar Fair was in a hurry to put their stamp on the former Paramount parks.

I think most of the time parks have uncommitted 3–5-year ideas for additions/improvements, but they can be delayed, reworked, or scrapped as needed.

• Like 2

From what I've heard, whenever a Cedar Fair park decides to build a new coaster, they usually go out to multiple manufacturers to hear their pitches for what they've been working on, and then the park will contract the manufacturer that works best for them. If Kings Island is planning a coaster for 2026, I imagine right now this would be the phase they're currently at. It's also worth noting that if this theoretical coaster were to be planned for The Vortex plot, that would have given the park an additional 4-5 years to think about what to put there from when that ride was removed.

I want to make it clear that a survey like this does not confirm a coaster for 2026. We'll need to see more evidence pop up within the next year or so in order to make that assumption.

• Like 2

What ever KI gets it will be an already proven design and a people eater.  While it will be a world class ride, it will not break any significant coaster records that CP currently holds. :D

Many of us have been saying for years that an extreme spinner would be perfect but also figured it would never happen due to their cost. What they're showing here is...not that great looking and would have terrible capacity.

The dive coaster seems uninteresting. Orion already gives us a near vertical, 300 foot drop. If it came with an amazing layout I would be all for it but those things aren't known for their layouts.

Honestly, a completely or mostly indoor coaster would be nice to have for Winterfest and all the rainy days that the park gets.

The family thrill coaster is the worst fit here. The park is about to open a family shuttle coaster and in terms of "family thrill coasters" I would say AE and Backlot cover that category well. 

I don't think CP or KI should be considering any shuttle coasters or other low capacity rides outside of their kids areas.

• Like 5

I'll toss out an idea. I had a concept in my head a few months ago. An Intamin multi-launch coaster that "interacts" with the layout of The Beast, meanwhile named something like "Cryptid" (look it up).  The Beast, as a roller coaster isn't The Beast itself, but imagined to be riders on a train going through the woods being stalked by a Beast that lurks about.  In a wish list environment, where money is no object, have Cryptid launch out of the station on a long straightaway, ground level, through the woods into a high rise hill (like the hill coming out of the second launch on VelociCoaster) that peeks (out of no where) above the tree line. Go through a winding track in a path through the woods, clearing as few trees as possible and coming close to "The Beast" a few times and coming to a mid-course indoor themed element to a stop- where riders may be able to see The Beast going through the early parts of the track.  Using available technology, time it out to when The Beast is preparing to enter a straight section, have "Cryptid" launch out of the enclosed area and interact directly with a Beast roller coaster train- doing a heartline roll directly over The Beast before finishing out the ride.

It would be a unique only to KI, have an awesome theme... and give The Beast the ambush that is written about in the station.

• Like 2

I've been mulling on this all day long.

We already have a giga coaster with an 85 degree angle of descent. Other than the fact that a dive machine hangs you over the edge for 3 or 4 seconds, would the drop experience really be that much different?

I've only been on one dive coaster (Valravn at Cedar Point) and thoroughly enjoyed the front row ride I took on it. The farther back in the train I went, the less I enjoyed the ride.

It's not on the list, but I would like to see something similar to Maverick at Cedar Point in the plot that Vortex occupies. I know that Cedar Fair and Intamin have a rocky past, especially with the past issues that Cedar Fair has had with them, so I'm curious as to the feasibility of something similar being installed, especially with the popularity of Velocicoaster at Islands of Adventure.  A Mack launch coaster could be a good fit in this spot, however based on what I've heard, these come with a steep price tag. If I could only ride one coaster up at Cedar Point, Maverick would be the one. 

• Like 5

Cool concept, but I don't think a revived Phantom Theater would work in Rivertown as Rivertown is more of a rustic/western type town and I don't feel like a Haunted Theater would really fit that. Now, maybe a Haunted Saloon or Mineshaft with some Phantom Theater references could work. Imo a revived Phantom Theater would work either in the Boo Blasters building or in Action Zone (rethemed to a more Haunted area). 

• Like 8

I do have one issue with these "What do you want?" surveys as it shows a lack of creativity going on at Cedar Fair. If guests got to pick, Kings Island would have never gotten Mystic Timbers and Cedar Point would never have got Maverick. 

I would much rather Cedar Fair come up with its own original ideas and get the best bang for the buck coaster.

• Like 1

I mean, what do you think they are doing here?  It's not like they are letting the public pick a specific ride or layout.  They are very general descriptions (Subject to Change, Caveat Emptor, etc).  It's not like the highest votes are going to win, it just gives them a general idea of what their passholders would like to see.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, teenageninja said:

I mean, what do you think they are doing here?  It's not like they are letting the public pick a specific ride or layout.  They are very general descriptions (Subject to Change, Caveat Emptor, etc).  It's not like the highest votes are going to win, it just gives them a general idea of what their passholders would like to see.

Why even have a survey with options A, B, C or D when all along Cedar Fair intends on picking E?

Not at all an expert here, but I'd speculate that perhaps options A through D represent general concepts, not necessarily literal ride options currently being considered.

The shuttle spinner could represent out-of-the-box ride concepts that have never been seen by most people in the park's market area. If the results show this is what the people want, perhaps CF would be more likely to try new models and prototypes for its next addition(s).

The family coaster might represent family-oriented attractions, period. In today's industry, I have to imagine that translates to the park getting additions like Big Bear Mountain at Dollywood, or flat rides of a similar caliber.

The dark ride coaster likely represents theming-heavy additions. Again, I have to imagine Dollywood being an example of this in the present day, especially FireChaser Express.

The dive coaster surely represents tall, fast coasters. Coincidentally, now that we have Orion and Diamondback, I'm not sure what else they could add based on this feedback BESIDES a super tall dive coaster. (Surely they wouldn't add something like TT2/Kingda Ka/Red Force, right?)

Note that actual layouts beyond snippets to convey each idea aren't really shown. If the park wanted feedback on these as actual, literal options they're weighing out for the future, surely they'd include a sample layout, right?

• Like 1

Didn't Kings Island send out a survey a few years ago about Planet Snoopy, with a "playground" and an air conditioned indoor dining space being the top two things most talked about?  We are getting the playground and the dining turned into PigPens mess hall, a finger food counter service location. I get finger foods for a kids area, and the theme for the place looks good. But it's not air conditioned for the parents and it's really just replacing an eatery that was demolished, that was rarely open. 

• Like 4