Camp Snoopy Arrives in 2024 at Kings Island

43 minutes ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

Interestingly enough, you are not wrong. RFYL used to be a part of Rivertown when it opened with the park. 

Yeah, back when it was the Kings Mill Log Flume, it was Rivertown. There used to be a more apparent divide -- they had that great floral walkway that provided a nice boundary between what was then Hanna Barbara Land (and even when it was Nick U?) and RiverTown. Now, the boundary's a bit confusing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/new-in-2024 

ki-24-snoopyssoapboxracers-largebanner-desktop.jpg

Attention Campers! Join Snoopy and the Beagle Scouts next year at Kings Island’s new Camp Snoopy. Opening in 2024, the expansion of the park’s award-winning Planet Snoopy kids’ area will feature Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers, a brand-new family roller coaster that races both forward and backward; and Beagle Scout Acres, an area where kids can run, crawl, play or relax with the family in a shaded comfortable space.

Rendering of Snoopy's Soap Box Racers kids' boomerang coaster at Kings Island's Camp Snoopy.

Snoopy's Soap Box Racers

Families and children will love this boomerang coaster that sends riders down a thrilling launch hill and hits speeds of up to 36 m.p.h. The 672-foot racetrack is filled with twists and turns making it the soap box derby no one will forget.

Family enjoying a shaded activity at Kings Island's Camp Snoopy kids' area.

Beagle Scout Acres

Beagle Scout Acres is an area where kids can run, crawl, play or relax with the family in a shaded comfortable space. Explore a campsite filled with turfed mounds and grassy areas, interactive equipment to makes noise, tents to climb through or over and footprint paths made by Woodstock and his friends.

Rendering of Kings Island's Camp Snoopy kids' area.

New Ways To Play

Experience new ways for kids and families to play at Kings Island with Camp Snoopy. It’s guaranteed to feel like a day at camp where you can play your way by exploring and relaxing in the great outdoors with Snoopy and the Beagle Scouts. Members of the Peanuts gang will lead you in Camptivities where you can raise the flag up the flagpole, light a campfire or make the camp bugle sound! Then, when you need a break, sit with the whole family and enjoy a snack.

I am very happy to see Planet Snoopy seeing some love! Although I am a little disappointed that the entire area won’t become Camp snoopy. I am completely shocked that we are getting a family boomerang from Vekoma! I really like that the spike will have a little hill going into it to differentiate it from Good Gravy. I just hope you don’t have to have a kid to ride lol. I do think that with the new boomerang coming next year Invertigo may be on the chopping block next…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WoodVengeance said:

Having the kids area split between Planet Snoopy and Camp Snoopy is really taking be back to the 90s and early 2000s when we had our kids area split between Hanna Barbera and Nickelodeon.

That is a really good point. I had not thought about that.

• Like 4

Analysis:

1. Micro section- I’ve said it before that I think the chain is going to push more micro sections with KI and this further proves my point. Instead of overhauling an entire area, they’re choosing to create something new as an add on; we saw this just this year with Adventure Port and Oktoberfest and we might see more of it in the future elsewhere.
  2. Vekoma- I’m impressed that we’re going back to Vekoma. Many enthusiasts have wanted to see more of this manufacturer in the states and now that Cedar Fair has a new styled Vekoma it could be a sign of more things to come.
  3. The coaster itself- 75ft high! Wow! I know that most of the riders won’t reach that height with it being a shuttle coaster but visually it’s going to be an eye catcher. For a visual scale comparison, 75ft is taller that Backlot Stunt Coaster and Adventure Express. I know with it being a shuttle coaster that capacity will be on the lower side but for being in the kids area, I don’t think it’ll be a big issue.
  4. The playground- I think it’s cool to give kids something to do that doesn’t require them to wait in line. This will be a good way for the parents to sit down and relax for a second while the little ones burn off some energy.
  5. Overall thoughts- this is what the park needs in my opinion. Cedar Fair had yet to contribute a coaster of their own to the kids area and now they have! I don’t know if this will win us back the “World’s Best Kids Area” because I’m not sure if the Golden Ticket Awards would combine both sections or not; frankly it doesn’t matter if we don’t win it back, this area is a breath of fresh air regardless. Also, I think it’s cool that Flying Ace will get a repaint to match the area. 
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Solid addition. 

What I'm unsure of the entire scope...is it just that small section being called Camp Snoopy or is the entire area being rethemed? 

It appears to just be the back of the land getting retheme/expansion. It looks like the Camp Snoopy sign will sit somewhere near Woodstock Gliders.

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Sounds like just that area. Would be nice if they could incorporate RFYLCB into it and even bring a food option (like camp fire burgers and dogs) to make a more complete “mini land” 

I hope so too. RFYLCB fits right in with the camping theme already. Based on the photos it appears that Flying Ace might be getting repainted to fit in as well, so maybe it and RFYLCB will be pulled in to create a larger miniland within the area. I could see Linus launcher "rethemed" (staying as is but referred to something new to fit the area) to kites or hang gliders to fit in with the camp theme as well. This would make an even divider for everything in the photo below (give or take Woodstock Gliders) to be incorporated to Camp Snoopy easily. Overall I hope this is just a phase one retheme of the entire area to a camp theme but it looks like it should be a nice addition/upgrade to the area.image.png

• Like 2

After Good Gravy!, we could have had Good Grief!.

If they do repaint and retheme Aerial Chase, I really hope they get the new Vekoma trains as well.  The newer lapbar only trains like on Dragonflier at Dollywood are so much more comfortable.  Not sure if they can just replace the seats and restraints or they have to replace the whole thing.

Overall at least from the concept art it looks fantastic.  I wonder what else is happening that we are not seeing.  This really does feel like a great way to use existing infrastructure, and to add a new coaster.  I always have preferred the Camp Snoopy theme to Planet Snoopy and it’s great finally seeing it at KI.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Probably. It seems pretty evident that Knotts is getting something for Camp Snoopy next year, so I wouldn't be surprised if they get a clone of SSBR, or another coaster model that reuses the same name.

I heard the announcement was at 2:00 est but I can’t find anything.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenban said:

After Good Gravy!, we could have had Good Grief!.

If they do repaint and retheme Aerial Chase, I really hope they get the new Vekoma trains as well.  The newer lapbar only trains like on Dragonflier at Dollywood are so much more comfortable.  Not sure if they can just replace the seats and restraints or they have to replace the whole thing.

Overall at least from the concept art it looks fantastic.  I wonder what else is happening that we are not seeing.  This really does feel like a great way to use existing infrastructure, and to add a new coaster.  I always have preferred the Camp Snoopy theme to Planet Snoopy and it’s great finally seeing it at KI.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT RIGHT THERE with PR and marketing. MISSED OPPORTUNITY to have some fun with Holiday world and troll them just a bit - Even if when they announced, KI had responded that way  - "Good Grief, we better come up with something to get people fired up in our camp when we announce our 2024 project on August 10th" how hard is that?

• Like 1

Would be interesting instead of making the whole area "Camp Snoopy" if they stuck with Planet Snoopy but created mini "worlds" within the land. Each with 1-2 rides and a food option that tied back into the theme - For Camp Snoopy with a few rides (1 new 1-2 'rezoned') do a "campfire grilled burger and dog" food location. Then look for ways to rework and theme a few rides around SurfDog to a beach theme with a tropical smoothie and swirl food stand. Moon buggies could become dune buggies, Gliders are 'Surf Gliders' etc. theres already Sally Sea Plane

Kite tree should probably just move to camp or retheme to SPACE or something. 

Sort of how a kid plays "dress up" or imagines a world they are plying in - do the same thing with mini lands each themed to things kids play. This is something that could've been developed over the past several years as things have been added, but they seem to have no real long term planning vision for this area (as in you JUST repainted Flying Ace last year in the same colors - that would've been the perfect time to start this conversion. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Would be interesting instead of making the whole area "Camp Snoopy" if they stuck with Planet Snoopy but created mini "worlds" within the land. Each with 1-2 rides and a food option that tied back into the theme - For Camp Snoopy with a few rides (1 new 1-2 'rezoned') do a "campfire grilled burger and dog" food location. Then look for ways to rework and theme a few rides around SurfDog to a beach theme with a tropical smoothie and swirl food stand. Moon buggies could become dune buggies, Gliders are 'Surf Gliders' etc. theres already Sally Sea Plane

Sort of how a kid plays "dress up" or imagines a world they are plying in - do the same thing with mini lands each themed to things kids play. This is something that could've been developed over the past several years as things have been added, but they seem to have no real long term planning vision for this area (as in you JUST repainted Flying Ace last year in the same colors - that would've been the perfect time to start this conversion. 

I like that idea as well. That would be my second best to an entire Camp Snoopy (I feel cohesion across the area would be great for theming and mean more trees hopefully) but do like the idea of the mini lands making up Planet Snoopy as a whole. Beach and space would make other great fun themes. IF they did this I hope they would incorporate they would incorporate Snoopy's Junction train ride to the camp. With all the trees it fits in better for that than beach. To make a new attraction too maybe replace it with something like Black Bear Trail from Dollywood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Was going to post basically the same thing after reading through the thread :lol:

10 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

What I'm meaning is that if the minimum requirements set by the manufacturer were let's say the same with this vekoma we're getting. That would mean Cedar Fair enacted a higher requirement than the manufacturer for only letting adults with kids ride. That's really what I'm looking for.

I didn't realize that restriction was some arbitrary rule that they made. I assumed it was based on height. Hopefully KI won't resort to such antics.

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I do think this is going to be an awesome addition to the park. Kids are going to love it, and the playground area is going to be a great reprieve for parents.  

There hasn't been a proper playground area since McScrappy's Farm got taken out. The old Splat City had both a climbing structure (FAAC is on that site now) and the water maze, but those were more "active" things.

• Like 1

I don’t want to be a wet blanket on this and I’m excited the kids area gets some love (having multiple kids 10 and under makes me living in that area a lot), but…..

my only negative is that this is the third coaster in that area with super limited capacity. Surf Dog, former Reptar, and this. While great family coasters to build up to bigger ones, I just wish they had added one with a bit more “people” eating capabilities. 

but also how great that the kids area will have 4 great coasters for kids to build and learn there riding on

Edited by shark6495
  • Like 1

The only kids/family coaster I can think of with good capacity are those Zierer figure 8 designs that have those super long trains, which, I wouldn't mind if KI got one of those. 

Also, the ride crews at any parks' kids area leaves a lot to be desired, even at parks with better staff.