The future of SOB: My opinion

coasterfreak75

I wonder why when most other wood coasters get rough, even among their most die hard fanbases, they were just bad rides, but for some reason, SOB got a free pass for being rough among its die hard fans.  

Also, the OG poster wasn't far off from the truth.  

My theory on the love SOB gets is that it comes from people who either never rode it or were very young when they first rode it so they don't remember the roughness.  

SOB will always hold a special place for me for the hype that preceded it as well as being the first coaster I got to watch the construction of as I was just becoming an enthusiast.  But other than the loop the ride was not great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I did like the first drop as well but my knees still hold a grudge over the rose bowl.

I rode it and both my knees had swelling sticking out a good 2 inches. That metal bar for holding onto, was like a hammer just beating my knees the whole ride. I could honestly say, that's the most pain I've experienced in my life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

I never got to ride it when it still had the loop. I got one ride in 2008 and that was more than enough. It's still easily the worst coaster I've ever ridden.

With/without the loop it is up there for me on that list.

8 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I for one enjoy the roughest of wooden roller coasters consistently. I'm almost 30 now though, so that is always subject to change.

Just wait! Lol! 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

My theory on the love SOB gets is that it comes from people who either never rode it or were very young when they first rode it so they don't remember the roughness.  

SOB will always hold a special place for me for the hype that preceded it as well as being the first coaster I got to watch the construction of as I was just becoming an enthusiast.  But other than the loop the ride was not great.

I think it also holds nostalgia in general for a lot of people seeing as it opened at the dawn of the Millennium. Parks were trying new things and pushing the limits. Everything felt new and exciting. During this time we had a powerhouse of parks in the state of Ohio with Kings Island, Cedar Point, Geauga Lake/Sea World ( Later Six Flags Ohio/Six Flags Worlds of Adventure ). 

SoB just evokes a lot of what the beginning of the Millennium brought in.

On that note, I was much younger and able to take the beating this ride gave and even in my teens/early 20's could only muster about one ride on it per visit. It was like putting your head in a paint shaker. I will agree with @IndyGuy4KI about it having one of the best drops on a wooden coaster of all time though. Not sure if it was because of the shear size of the ride and knowing you were sitting atop a struction made entirely out of wood vs steel, the picturesque view of Action Zone and the now Adventure Port being what you fly past on your way down, the intense build up while climbing that insanely loud lift hill, the little pre-drop before you dove straight into your fate. Honestly it was magic until it wasn't :lol: The ride was anything but graceful or refined. But I will say that my best memory has to be the last year of it's operation. I rode it a week before they shut it down for good. Probably the best ride I ever had on it. It's almost like he knew he was on borrowed time. 

• Like 4

I very much enjoyed the first hill lift and drop.  Loved seeing the coaster overlooking KI.  But wow it was painful on the thighs, especially in the rose bowl.  I was there the Saturday in 2009 before it closed.  I passed on riding it that day because of the pain it inflicted.  But still kind of wished I got that one last ride in.

• Like 1

I remember well the announcement and hype that SOB got. I took a ton of photos with me and my family in front of that huge crate when it was announced. Once I saw the layout, I was hoping it would be a great ride. And, other than the long loud lift hill, an epic first drop and the fun of the loop, it was an extremely rough, jackhammering and somewhat boring coaster to my disappointment.

I was really wanting to love the ride watching rise above the KI skyline. It was truly a massive structure. But after my first few rides, I only rode it again if a friend from out of town came in and really wanted to ride it, or when my oldest got big enough to ride it. Other than that, I'd skip it, ride The Beast and my body thanked me for it.

• Like 2

I'm old enough to have already been of drinking age when SOB opened, and I rode it a few times. It was a cool novelty at first. It was definitely extreme -- it was fast, the loop was cool, and it was genuinely scary. 

But oof, even in my 20s, it was a back-breaker. I went through so much Tylenol riding that ride. I'm glad to have ridden it; I was not sad to see it go. 

• Like 1