Rides Department Budget Cuts

FUN&ONLY!

Has anyone been to the waterpark recently? And if so, have the budget cuts affected attractions over there? 

The only things I've noticed in regards to budget cuts so far is AE having one train (resulting in what looked like an extremely long line), one Freestyle location open (which is honestly par for the course as Rivertown Freestyle isn't open all the time anyway :P) and some reduced ride staffing (though I think the ride ops still do a great job for the most part). That being said, from what I've been reading, I am concerned these cuts may eventually be more noticeable.

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Do you have confirmation that one train ops is due to staffing cuts or is there an issue with a train that has forced their hand to only one train ops for AE and FoF?  I would think given Adventure Port is new, that even though AE is an old ride with some enhancements this year, that they would want it running as efficiently as possible and would run it with two trains if they could? 

One thing KI has seemed to always do is run all trains even on slow days.  Exception is they will pull off a train on Bat during rain.  So I think it is train related.  Otherwise why wouldn't they pull a Six Flags and remove a train off each coaster?  Well except for Invertigo LOL.

Besides with The Bat, the only time Kings Island will intentionally run a ride with fewer trains is if it saves money on staffing (like with The Racer and the train). Running one less train on Adventure Express and Flight of Fear does not accomplish this. Therefore, I believe the issues with Adventure Express and Flight of Fear are maintenance related and not staffing related.. We saw one train ops on Diamondback in 2019 and on Woodstock Express in 2023 until maintenance got the other trains ready.

I don’t think having one train in operation is something the park is trying to do in order to save money. I’m guessing this is mainly a maintenance issue, especially on a busy days.

However, I will say some coasters benefit having less trains in operation on slower days. Empty seats means the ride Ops themselves have to push down the lap bars and buckle the seatbelts, only to have to undo them when the train returns to the station. This although doesn’t seem like it would take a lot of time, once you factor in multiple empty seats it begins to add up and starts to create stacking of trains.

25 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

However, I will say some coasters benefit having less trains in operation on slower days. Empty seats means the ride Ops themselves have to push down the lap bars and buckle the seatbelts, only to have to undo them when the train returns to the station. This although doesn’t seem like it would take a lot of time, once you factor in multiple empty seats it begins to add up and starts to create stacking of trains.

I would disagree. Ride operators can check empty seats way faster than loaded seats on most rides because there are no guests to deal with. Most rides also don’t need to have empty seatbelts buckled, so all the operators have to do is push the restraint down. I know Mystic Timbers can get tedious with buckling the seatbelts in all the empty seats (because the seatbelts are not retractable), but two trains on that ride is pretty inefficient with the shed sequence programmed into the ride. With two trains on Mystic Timbers, operators are constantly stuck waiting for the next train to come into the station because it has to stop for a certain amount of time in the shed when the music plays (even if the station is empty).

9 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

How about start running actual sales on merch to boost in park spending? 

Use some of those mobile carts and start selling ice cream buy one get one free. 

Let's get rid of the fun perks position. We never saw the result of that position anyway. 

The definitely have the capability to run sales on merch. Winterfest at one point had 50% off certain merch. What they spend to purchase is just a small fraction of the cost of what we pay. I cannot always justify paying $30ish for a shirt but if it's closer to $20 or lower I likely will. I love the pins but I cannot justify $10 for a pin no bigger than a quarter. 

I think about all the non park related merch, why purchase that (at a higher cost such as Salt Life, Billabong,etc) and not sell nearly as much? 

Sales from carts would be great! Buy a pretzel get a 2nd 1/2 off, ice cream bogo. 

I have yet to get fun perks this season from any of my park visits in the chain. There is the occasional email of "perks" for signing up for a loyalty program of another business. There really cannot be a good reason to continue having someone in that position if they aren't able to actually give perks in park. 

Food pricing, while I have the meal plan, is insane and detracts from buying. At Cedar Point last weekend I got breakfast at Grand Pavilion and used my meal plan. I had planned on leaving the park before dinner so no big deal. Well my boss gave me the next day off so I decided to stay the remainder of the day. So I had one meal plan to use from 12-10. I ate a late lunch and decided that due to meal pricing I'd just eat outside of the park after my day was over. The overhead cost of the dining program cannot be that much per meal, which I can see bringing in a bigger profit margin per meal, but I'd bet they'd sell more if the cost per meal were lower. 

I don't know the solution but I know as a consumer I definitely would like to pay less so I can buy more. 

• Like 1

Agree with getting rid of the fun perks corporate position.  As a platinum season pass holder for as long as I can remember, I have never received any park pass perks.  (Tired many times over the years to call the park to get resolved, but just get transferred and never get a resolution).  Yet, park pass perks is a supposed season pass benefit which I have never received.  The park pass perks program obviously is not working as intended.

• Like 2

@IndyGuy4KI @RallyomalleyI agree with both of you, communication would be great but the reality is, can we trust a single spoken or typed word that comes from anyone above the rank and file non management park employees?  I feel the answer is a very solid “no” from Zimmerman all the way down, it will be a collection of feel good phrases and other such flim-flam.  Even something as simple as “Hey folks we get it, one train ops irritate everyone, but one of our trains is currently undergoing maintenance and it will be back on the track ASAP” would at least present a sliver of an olive branch.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

@IndyGuy4KI @RallyomalleyI agree with both of you, communication would be great but the reality is, can we trust a single spoken or typed word that comes from anyone above the rank and file non management park employees?  I feel the answer is a very solid “no” from Zimmerman all the way down, it will be a collection of feel good phrases and other such flim-flam.  Even something as simple as “Hey folks we get it, one train ops irritate everyone, but one of our trains is currently undergoing maintenance and it will be back on the track ASAP” would at least present a sliver of an olive branch.

They did an awesome job with Fury. Granted it was a totally different scenario and no communication would have been detrimental to the chain. Alternatively, a small update about little things sure would be helpful. It would be able to put this discussion to rest. This is not the only medium online this same discussion is happening. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Banshee, Invertigo, Drop Tower, Congo Falls all closed right now. Skyflyer, Bat, and Delirium still open. AZ is a ghost town compared to usual. Hard to believe that many things could be be down just for maintenance…

Was just about to post this. I’m being told Invertigo and Drop Tower after due to wind. Do I buy it? Not a chance.

IMG_5142.jpeg

11 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

There’s at least a sign at the entrance to Adventure Express, so they are addressing it, but that doesn’t bode well since with budget cuts, I can’t see printing a sign just for a few more days. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

What we are told from Cedar Fair employees cannot be trusted because they are told to lie from management.   Cedar Fair management puts their employees in a bad position when they tell them to lie.  Like when they close the park for low attendance, and mgmt tells employees to lie and say it is weather. 

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:52 PM, PKIVortex said:

AE has been 1 train for about a month? I heard FoF was one train today.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

FoF is two train operation today - on a very very light crowd day...lending towards the belief that one train ops on a busy Saturday was due to an issue with a train...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, super7 said:

What we are told from Cedar Fair employees cannot be trusted because they are told to lie from management.   Cedar Fair management puts their employees in a bad position when they tell them to lie.  Like when they close the park for low attendance, and mgmt tells employees to lie and say it is weather. 

Having worked for two Cedar Fair parks, my coworkers and I were never instructed by our superiors to lie to guests.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 8/7/2023 at 10:07 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Having worked for two Cedar Fair parks, my coworkers and I were never instructed by our superiors to lie to guests.

I would think some things that would alarm guest would be kept under wrap. Like a broken cart axle, or cracked cart frame wouldn’t be disclosed to the public. Anything that would make the ride seem unsafe wouldn’t be disclosed at all. I’d imagine the same would’ve been done for Fury325 if it had been caught by the park first.

4 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I would think some things that would alarm guest would be kept under wrap. Like a broken cart axle, or cracked cart frame wouldn’t be disclosed to the public. Anything that would make the ride seem unsafe wouldn’t be disclosed at all. I’d imagine the same would’ve been done for Fury325 if it had been caught by the park first.

That’s the difference though: not disclosing information vs blatantly giving false information are two completely different things. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

That’s the difference though: not disclosing information vs blatantly giving false information are two completely different things. 

Well what about early closures like WindSeeker and rides in Planet Snoopy? Is a half truth a half lie too? 

Speaking of WindSeeker, what an oxymoron name for a ride that doesn’t actually like wind. :P

• Like 3

On 7/15/2023 at 9:49 PM, Tr0y said:

I can definitely see the park cutting fireworks other than on weekends and holidays and sticking with a drone show. From what I’ve heard from most people that’s all they talk about during the night shows.

Google Disneyland weekday fireworks. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2023 at 1:12 AM, super7 said:

Like when they close the park for low attendance, and mgmt tells employees to lie and say it is weather. 

Also, were you referring to yesterday? It was pouring off and on all day. I was there and the sky was extremely dark by around 4PM and there was hardly anyone in the waterpark to begin with.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2023 at 9:47 AM, SonofBaconator said:

Also, were you referring to yesterday? It was pouring off and on all day. I was there and the sky was extremely dark by around 4PM and there was hardly anyone in the waterpark to begin with.

Referring to Cedar Fair I’m general.  Especially Carowinds and Kings Dominion.   I have been burnt multiple times at those parks by ghost weather closures 

At today. KI.  Crowded park.  Racer running 1 side.  Railroad with 3 cars.   1 train on AE.  

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2023 at 8:01 AM, Orion-XL200 said:

The definitely have the capability to run sales on merch. Winterfest at one point had 50% off certain merch. What they spend to purchase is just a small fraction of the cost of what we pay. I cannot always justify paying $30ish for a shirt but if it's closer to $20 or lower I likely will. I love the pins but I cannot justify $10 for a pin no bigger than a quarter. 

I think about all the non park related merch, why purchase that (at a higher cost such as Salt Life, Billabong,etc) and not sell nearly as much? 

Sales from carts would be great! Buy a pretzel get a 2nd 1/2 off, ice cream bogo. 

I have yet to get fun perks this season from any of my park visits in the chain. There is the occasional email of "perks" for signing up for a loyalty program of another business. There really cannot be a good reason to continue having someone in that position if they aren't able to actually give perks in park. 

Food pricing, while I have the meal plan, is insane and detracts from buying. At Cedar Point last weekend I got breakfast at Grand Pavilion and used my meal plan. I had planned on leaving the park before dinner so no big deal. Well my boss gave me the next day off so I decided to stay the remainder of the day. So I had one meal plan to use from 12-10. I ate a late lunch and decided that due to meal pricing I'd just eat outside of the park after my day was over. The overhead cost of the dining program cannot be that much per meal, which I can see bringing in a bigger profit margin per meal, but I'd bet they'd sell more if the cost per meal were lower. 

I don't know the solution but I know as a consumer I definitely would like to pay less so I can buy more. 

They have shot themselves in the foot with a meal plan. They make so little off of most of the meal plans that they jacked the price of sky high for individual meals.

I think the better business plan is just to have reasonably priced meals instead of the meal plan.  But they’re in too far to turn around now.