Winterfest 2023 Discussion

SonofBaconator

35 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

YES! Hahaha, that was the most terrifying thing I’d ever done in an amusement park. Fairly certain those two slides in your video came from Surf Cincinnati. In 2006, they let @Dane and I take our pick of sleds (out of a pile where we had to decide “which one is less broken”)—and then they let us ride together. 

You rode together? Who's idea was that? 

I think @Gordon Bombay is right. That’s the only one they used from Surf Cincinnati. The dead end platform that housed those slides is still there to this day.

Since this will also come up - the slide in the parking lot was from the Columbus Zoo. They got the slide but I do not believe they ever got the blueprints. They used parts of it to repair other slides. It wasn’t uncommon for trees to fall on the slides and do serious damage. When the pet center was built a few years ago, it was found that part of their boneyard was on their property. Most of the stuff there was moved to the park, but the water slide was put on Craigslist for free. Someone came and got it saying they were going to rebuild it in their yard. I wonder how that went. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

You rode together? Who's idea was that? 

Honestly, I think that was truly how it was presented. There was a bit of a long line and it just made more sense to ride with a buddy, or a "bud-ay" as @ZosoBeast would say. 

Still, that wasn't even the worst ride at their weird holiday event from Hell. That award goes to the paddle boats in the lazy river. Just ask @CoastersRZ. A better name for the attraction would be: "cold, confusing, and frustrating ride through an abandoned waterpark." 

EDIT: Just remembered, I think @XGatorHead 8904 has a terrifying story about those paddle boats. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Honestly, I think that was truly how it was presented. There was a bit of a long line and it just made more sense to ride with a buddy, or a "bud-ay" as @ZosoBeast would say. 

Still, that wasn't even the worst ride at their weird holiday event from Hell. That award goes to the paddle boats in the lazy river. Just ask @CoastersRZ. A better name for the attraction would be: "cold, confusing, and frustrating ride through an abandoned waterpark." 

EDIT: Just remembered, I think @XGatorHead 8904 has a terrifying story about those paddle boats. 

That whole event was a game of “good idea, BAD idea.”

Yes, those pedal boats couldn`t turn left and right as quickly as the lazy river turned, so it often resulted in boats turned sideways.  And whose idea was it to put pedal boats in a lazy river?  I mean, at Coney, the footwells would often fill up with water and people`s shoes would get wet.  Imagine that happening when it is 30 degrees outside!  Yike!

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the property now that there is a new owner.  I know the Skyline near there has a new neighbor with a Texas Roadhouse.  Speaking of that Skyline, it has some cool model train stuff inside of it.

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:09 AM, Gordon Bombay said:

On 10/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, CoastersRZ said:

Yes, those pedal boats couldn`t turn left and right as quickly as the lazy river turned, so it often resulted in boats turned sideways.  And whose idea was it to put pedal boats in a lazy river?  I mean, at Coney, the footwells would often fill up with water and people`s shoes would get wet.  Imagine that happening when it is 30 degrees outside!  Yike!

Ah yes, the Sinking of the S.S. Gator.  To this day, I have never gotten on another pedal boat, although Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl do them any chance they get.  Traumatized forever! :lol:

https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15880-holiday-fest-at-the-beach-tr-122708/

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, XGatorHead 8904 said:

Ah yes, the Sinking of the S.S. Gator.  To this day, I have never gotten on another pedal boat, although Mrs. Gator & GatorGirl do them any chance they get.  Traumatized forever! :lol:

https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15880-holiday-fest-at-the-beach-tr-122708/

Kind of an off-topic question for this thread - but did you end up contacting the department of agriculture after that incident?

• 2 weeks later...

Always wondered what's the point of having an I-Street webcam if they just turn it off when it would be most useful. I totally understand when it comes to something like the fireworks / drone show programming, but right now I would love to watch them transform the fountain to the skating rink and watch them transform the tower. These things would make people more excited to come to the park getting people hyped up. But instead, we only get the other 2 cams which are harder to see from.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

The WinterFest shows pages for Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland aren't listing Holly Jolly Trolley despite having offered the show in previous years, so it's possible that is one production we'll see cut across the chain.

This wouldn't surprise me.  That was a fully contracted show with an outside vendor, though they also provided talent for other shows (Tree Lighting, Parade, etc), and I know KI had nothing but problems with their trolley.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

The WinterFest shows pages for Kings Dominion and Canada's Wonderland aren't listing Holly Jolly Trolley despite having offered the show in previous years, so it's possible that is one production we'll see cut across the chain.

I have heard in the past that issues with the trolley itself have been prevalent for the parks. I am guessing with almost a 100% certainty that it will not be back this year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I have heard in the past that issues with the trolley itself have been prevalent for the parks. I am guessing with almost a 100% certainty that it will not be back this year. 

That and probably Sounds of the Nativity. So that’s probably two shows down. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping/expecting Sounds of Nativity to be relocated as well, although that might put it closer to Four Drummers Drumming (if that returns as well).

Perhaps the loss of Holly Jolly Trolley would mean that the major shows like Tinker's, Swingin' Into Christmas and Cool Yule can still remain?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

I'm hoping/expecting Sounds of Nativity to be relocated as well, although that might put it closer to Four Drummers Drumming (if that returns as well).

Perhaps the loss of Holly Jolly Trolley would mean that the major shows like Tinker's, Swingin' Into Christmas and Cool Yule can still remain?

Someone on Facebook was asking where the performers were assigned, and I distinctly remember some commenting with those shows, so they’re safe. 

• Like 2

I hope they list any possible new or special food offerings soon.

Also, I know the meal plan is still valid. This is actually my first season having the meal plan in years and my first time having the meal plan while Winterfest is going on, so what kind of food offerings are available? I know not all of the restaurants are open during Winterfest, but which ones typically are? And will Cinnabon/funnel cakes be available too? 

You'd think I would know all of this seeing as this isn't my first year going to Winterfest, but I never really paid much attention to food offerings before seeing as I didn't have a meal plan previously in recent times. TYIA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I hope they list any possible new or special food offerings soon.

Also, I know the meal plan is still valid. This is actually my first season having the meal plan in years and my first time having the meal plan while Winterfest is going on, so what kind of food offerings are available? I know not all of the restaurants are open during Winterfest, but which ones typically are? And will Cinnabon/funnel cakes be available too? 

You'd think I would know all of this seeing as this isn't my first year going to Winterfest, but I never really paid much attention to food offerings before seeing as I didn't have a meal plan previously in recent times. TYIA.

Let's hope the meal plans continue to remain valid after labor day in future years....

"The All Season Dining Pass currently available for season pass and annual membership pass holders via sixflags.com/greatadventure for $134.99 offers guests "lunch and dinner every visit today and throughout the 2023 season," according to the park's website.

Here's the fine print: The pass, valid through Sept. 4, 2023, gets you two meals per each visit to the park, with a three-hour interval between meals. Drinks are not included and "specific dining locations and meals" are subject to availability, according to the park."

https://www.app.com/story/life/food/2022/08/31/six-flags-great-adventure-meal-plan-returns-after-going-viral/65465792007/

• Like 2

The WinterFest show page for Carowinds has been updated for 2023. The parade will return at Carowinds even though it apparently will not return to Kings Dominion.

Shows from 2022 that are no longer listed (and assumed to be cut) include Holly Jolly Trolley, Sparkle City Swing Machine, the Yule Logs, Tree-ditions, Christmas Bluegrass, Fezzywigs Brass Band, Four Drummers Drumming and the Mistletones.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

The WinterFest show page for Carowinds has been updated for 2023. The parade will return at Carowinds even though it apparently will not return to Kings Dominion.

Shows from 2022 that are no longer listed (and assumed to be cut) include Holly Jolly Trolley, Sparkle City Swing Machine, the Yule Logs, Tree-ditions, Christmas Bluegrass, Fezzywigs Brass Band, Four Drummers Drumming and the Mistletones.

That's a whole lotta cutting going on...

And people will still continue to show up allowing the corp folks to say "See we can cut all we want, people will still come"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1