Snoopy's Soap Box Racers & Camp Snoopy Reviews

6 hours ago, Kenban said:

I feel like this is not getting enough attention.  At 38”, when accompanied by an adult, the only coaster that allows for shorter guests is Great Pumpkin Coaster and that is only two inches lower at 36”.  This coaster is literally between Great Pumpkin Coaster and Woodstock Express.

Woodstock Express is 40” and Woodstocks Air Rail is 44”.  At least for coasters the next step up is 48” and that’s like half the park.

I frequently have heard how Beastie, Woodstock Express, or whatever other name people know, is their first big coaster.  With a lower height requirement, I expect this will slowly change and will in a few years start hearing about people who their first big coaster was Soap box Racers.

Correct!

Took my kids today for their first ever experience with roller coasters, they rode Woodstock Express quickly followed by Soap Box Racers. We were very surprised with how intense that turn coming out of the station is! 

My 7 year old daughter absolutely loved it, however my 5 year old son might still be too small as he said it was too much. 

I personally found it to be a delightful ride, with some good speed and a great view! 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoeter said:

Flight of Fear and Backlot are the worst restraints in the park in terms of comfort.

Every Premier coaster new and old that I’ve ridden are not very comfortable.

• Like 4

Sky Rocket at Kennywood is mildly better than Backlot and FoF, though not by much, but I did find Tempesto decently comfy.  

Almost nothing was worse than the initial OTSR's on Flight of Fear.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tr0y said:

Every Premier coaster new and old that I’ve ridden are not very comfortable.

This. All day. This. 

I am a smaller athletic build and even I find these seats/restraints awful. I would argue to say that an old Arrow looper's trains are more comfortable than these. 

• Like 1

Is one week a good time frame for how long an animated statue of Snoopy waving a flag lasted. First time back since last Friday. Notice he’s not moving or flagging. When so much got cut from this build, it would be nice if the very few elements that did make it lasted a bit longer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

Is one week a good time frame for how long an animated statue of Snoopy waving a flag lasted. First time back since last Friday. Notice he’s not moving or flagging. When so much got cut from this build, it would be nice if the very few elements that did make it lasted a bit longer. 

Dang… it was working on Tuesday this week when we rode it. 

• Like 1

Night lighting package looks nice for BSAcres. Subtle shifts that look like a sunset. Franklin is placed too close to the edge in his tower. There are three lights installed seemingly just to illuminate him and he’s so far in front of them they do nothing but create a strong backlight that makes him hard to see. How hard is this stuff? Entry along log ride really dark. Wish they hadn’t taken out the footers from the old signs, but used them to mount posts for string lights, and use added and existing lighting from Winterfest to project “light through the trees” to make that darker entry feel more immersive. Even if the overhead string lights twinkled like fireflies. Purple metal wall had nothing done to it. Would’ve been easy to repaint and add false “dorm doors” with lights above them with characters names on them as “campers” again… not a super expensive way to bring more to the area.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Night lighting package looks nice for BSAcres. Subtle shifts that look like a sunset. Franklin is placed too close to the edge in his tower. There are three lights installed seemingly just to illuminate him and he’s so far in front of them they do nothing but create a strong backlight that makes him hard to see. How hard is this stuff? Entry along log ride really dark. Wish they hadn’t taken out the footers from the old signs, but used them to mount posts for string lights, and use added and existing lighting from Winterfest to project “light through the trees” to make that darker entry feel more immersive. Even if the overhead string lights twinkled like fireflies. Purple metal wall had nothing done to it. Would’ve been easy to repaint and add false “dorm doors” with lights above them with characters names on them as “campers” again… not a super expensive way to bring more to the area.  

Have you talked to Mr. Kootnz about your ideas?  They sound fantastic!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I saw the “sunset” effect. I was also told that at 10:00, the lights go to blue to reflect “lights out/night time.” Very cool!!

• Like 3

On 5/24/2024 at 6:18 PM, Orion-XL200 said:

As I walked around yesterday, I noticed/felt this too. Not very "campy." More trees are needed for sure, maybe more shade structures. I like your idea of rock work and water feature.

I agree this part of the park is rather barren and feels like a bunch of concrete.  Not like a camp. 

Unfortunately providing shade and atmosphere fit customers is not a concern with Cedar Fair.  Trees cost money to plant, water and trim.  They seem to only want to remove trees and not even spend minimal $ on a stump grinder.    

• Sad 1

Since renewing my pass I've been a bit slow on the go getting to the park for XYZ reasons. But a buddy of mine from work was at the park yesterday and asked if I wanted to come out and ride with him. I decided to go ahead and get my first visit in for the season. 

I didn't really get a chance to survey Camp Snoopy as we were on a mission to ride as much as we could in the short window of time we had ( I fully intend to really take some time to look at everything on my next visit ) but I did get a chance to give the Soapbox a whirl. 

The station is really neat. Looks awesome. They made it feel like an actual campsite building. There may or may not have been anything missed seeing as we were in the FL que and were the only two queued up for it in said line. My friend was letting me take the reins on asking for specific seats for the day and I politely requested the very back car. The line sep told me that the family in the regular line before us had already requested it, but she kindly placed us in row 8 so we could be as far back as possible. I kindly thanked her and we queued up.

We waited for the current train to dispatch and complete its cycle full of riders before it was our turn. When it returned to the station and it was our turn to board, some folks with green slips ended up in our row. Then the folks who had requested row 10 before us told us we could go ahead and take their seats as they had already been on a couple of times. I waved and yelled a big thank you to them as we slipped quickly through the gates and made our way to row 10. Upon sitting in the seat, I will note that the cars are very comfortably designed. Like. This has to be one of the most comfortable family coasters I've ever sat in. At least to me, personally. I felt just snug enough that I felt secure but not so snug that it was without some ability to move. Felt like a nice little recliner in a way. Plenty of leg room too. As soon as we were all checked, they dispatched the train. The kicker tires promptly pulled us backwards with power and efficiency. I looked behind us and realized this thing has a fair amount of height for being a family coaster. Then we were released and away we went. And I gotta say what a wonderfully smooth-gliding machine this thing is. It sailed through the course with a nice little bit of force. That's part of why I wanted the very back because I knew that the chances of feeling what this little family coaster had to offer would be likely towards the back and I was not wrong. 

Going backwards was just silly fun. Before ya know it, you're parked back inside the station. My consensus? This thing is just pure fun. Even for it being a family-style coaster, it is very re-ridable. Just the right amount of forces to be thrilling for little ones looking for that next step up and enough to make veteran coaster lovers/thrill seekers happy because it's just a good time. This is a solid little installation and one that I will definitely be taking a few laps on. No shame as an adult rider. I am all for the big bad thrills of varying coaster and flat ride varieties, but I really have a soft spot for these kinds of rides as they are just a good time and I think that's just as important to have in a ride collection as any large thrill attraction. Its a nice way to break things up. 

All in all, great job Vekoma and KI! Makes me want that big mega looper from Vekoma (hint hint ). Because if this little family ride is this nice, I can only imagine what a major installation from them would be like!

• Like 4

Finally got my first look at Beagle Scout Acres on Saturday. Fun place and I wish KI had had something like that when I was a kid. I know others have said there should be more playground equipment there, but I think it's fine the way it is. Kids need a place where they can just have fun running around. I do agree that some benches up on top of the hill would be nice, but they at least put some picnic tables back there now, which helps. My nieces (8 and 6) seem to love it.

• Like 3

Was able to score a ride on Snoopy's Soap Box Racers this past Thursday. I will say, it was just okay for me. I do like the design of the station/queue entrance at the station. Fast Lane scanner is in a perfect location. I rode in row 1 and it was okay. The ride itself is smooth. The next day I rode Good Gravy and I definitely prefer that out of the two. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Was able to score a ride on Snoopy's Soap Box Racers this past Thursday. I will say, it was just okay for me. I do like the design of the station/queue entrance at the station. Fast Lane scanner is in a perfect location. I rode in row 1 and it was okay. The ride itself is smooth. The next day I rode Good Gravy and I definitely prefer that out of the two. 

Why do you prefer Good Gravy?

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 12:36 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

I saw the “sunset” effect. I was also told that at 10:00, the lights go to blue to reflect “lights out/night time.” Very cool!!

Oh mang, speaking of little things that would have been cool for a "camp" effect. Opening "wke-up" Bugle when the ride first open each day, camp announcement with Lunch and Dinner bells, and a "Lights Out" announcement for last rides.

As for "Good Gravy", we actually just went to Holiday World for their opening weekend and I had this conversation with my kids. I think everything except the ride itself on Good Gravy is better, the ride for SSBR is probably marginal win. They are very similar rides to me, but the hump on the end spike is great and seals the deal for me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stoan said:

Oh mang, speaking of little things that would have been cool for a "camp" effect. Opening "wke-up" Bugle when the ride first open each day, camp announcement with Lunch and Dinner bells, and a "Lights Out" announcement for last rides.

As for "Good Gravy", we actually just went to Holiday World for their opening weekend and I had this conversation with my kids. I think everything except the ride itself on Good Gravy is better, the ride for SSBR is probably marginal win. They are very similar rides to me, but the hump on the end spike is great and seals the deal for me.

Yeah, that’s kind of how I felt. I think SBR is the better ride, but the overall experience with Good Gravy! is miles ahead.

• Like 3

I appreciate the fact that despite the two coasters being similar, they are also different enough to provide their own unique experience. I haven't made my way to HW yet this year but I am hoping to make that happen as I haven't been back since 2017. It's good to see that they recycled the old Pilgrim's Plunge/Giraffica ride station and spruced up that area of the park. 

• Like 2

Got my first ride on it yesterday afternoon. Not much of a line but it still took a bit to load.

It's a snappy little coaster for it's size. I sat in the back seat and it was a bit taller than it looks from up there too. I really enjoyed it although as I get older, going backwards on any coaster is tough on the equilibrium. Funny cause I used to love the backwards Racer. I am curious to see how Good Gravy stacks up to it when I go to Holiday World in July between me marathoning Voyage. Absolutely love that coaster.

• Like 2

If ever there was an area that a splash pad would make sense in... They could've gone the Dollywood route and done the "stream" with the minimally recessed flow path that you can still walk on in the cold months. Put it in the area where "Tree Lot" goes and it would make sense flowing out of the log ride. Run a stream down the middle between the two FastLane entry paths to log ride and air rail.

63396.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brenthodge said:

If ever there was an area that a splash pad would make sense in... They could've gone the Dollywood route and done the "stream" with the minimally recessed flow path that you can still walk on in the cold months. Put it in the area where "Tree Lot" goes and it would make sense flowing out of the log ride. Run a stream down the middle between the two FastLane entry paths to log ride and air rail.

63396.jpg

Sadly I do not think this would ever happen because it is almost a water feature. Since we all know KI's track record with any type of water feature.

• Like 1

Both Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers at Kings Island and Good Gravy! at Holiday World excel in offering family-friendly roller coaster experiences, each with its unique theme and charm. But which one do Don Helbig and Ryan Suhr believe has the edge? 

• Like 3

I finally got a ride on SSBR and it was definitely a fun coaster. I rarely ride Flying Ace Arial Chase (Woodstock AirRail) but I do usually ride Woodstock Express a few times throughout the season and while I still slightly prefer it to SSBR I will definitely be getting on SSBR multiple times each season as it is a fantastic coaster for younger guests and families. I rode the back row and it really gives you an amazing view of the park and a good whip through those turns. Going backwards is also a wonderful sensation! Love the area and the theming. I was definitely critical of the camp Snoopy addition at first but as Micky Dolenz sang in the 1960s "now I'm a believer" 

• Like 2

I got my first ride today. Coming in, I was concerned about the ride's capacity for this first season but when I got there around maybe 2 PM, I got on within 3 or 4 trains. It was no longer than the wait on the major adult coasters today (which hovered in the 15-30 minute range).

Got back row and there was a very noticeable vibration to the ride. Not enough to be a problem but fairly consistent. Otherwise the ride packs a little more punch than I expected, at least on the turns.