Camp Snoopy Construction Updates

Hawaiian Coasters 325

13 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Good grief! How is this "breaking news?"  It has been released by the park on their channels and discussed here.  I mean, let's call the OG iPhone "breaking news" in your channel's next segment!  ;) 

thanks for the hate, its people like you that make the world a better place ;) keep thinking about that! anything else?

6 minutes ago, RedSummit20 said:

thanks for the hate, its people like you that make the world a better place ;) keep thinking about that! anything else?

If sharing your content on this forum to drive traffic to your site for clicks, using a clickbate title is hate...

Oh, then there is this recent gem where you "hate" on someone else....

Screenshot_20240227-102845.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

If sharing your content on this forum to drive traffic to your site for clicks, using a clickbate title is hate...

Oh, then there is this recent gem where you "hate" on someone else....

Screenshot_20240227-102845.png

thats not hating, i just said old news, and they just announced this today its not old news, they announced the other day that it has gone vertical?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2024/january/camp-snoopy-construction-update
The park blog said that it was completed at 1:08 p.m. on Monday. I don’t get why this wasn’t shared yesterday. 

There are more than 400 amusement/theme parks in North America. All but one would have shared the news within an hour of the last piece of track being installed on a new coaster. Some would have streamed it live. 

The park has had a lot of really good PR people throughout its history. Thomas Olds. Ruth Voss. Bill Mefford. Carolyn Boos. Jeffrey Siebert. David Mandt. Susan Lomax. Dan Cahill. Steve Edwards. Maureen Richmond. Karen Hunt. Susan McDonald. None of them would have waited until the next day to share the news that the final piece of track on a new coaster had been installed. 

• Like 8

When you see that overhead shot you realize what a mess that whole area is. The awful transition along a service fence, the inferior restrooms that are essentially two undersized buildings that should’ve been razed and rebuilt as a really nice family friendly facility, the service area that used to be a relaxing transition vine  tunnel “ bypass” of the kids area. If they want to compete with Dollywood and Wildwood grove, they needed to go all in on this refresh and actually improve amenities that enhance the overall family experience

• Like 1

I’m not counting on it but if Kings Island can manage to have Soapbox Racers operating by opening day wouldn’t they technically have North America's first Vekoma Family Boomerang roller coaster?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I’m not counting on it but if Kings Island can manage to have Soapbox Racers operating by opening day wouldn’t they technically have North America's first Vekoma Family Boomerang roller coaster?

Not sure if it matters if it’s ready.  Vekoma has announced repeatedly that Good Gravy would open first, they used cars from the train as part of their display at IAAPA back in November.  Where they again announced it would open first.  Something has the manufacturer convinced, it will be first, even with Kings Island opening for the season first.

I suspect Vekoma built a no earlier than date into the contract.  Basically Soap Box Racers cannot open for media or guests before X date.  The ride might be cycling, completely ready, and still not be allowed to open.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

so what is up with the kiddie carousel ride?  

Is it coming back?

My son is obsessed with this ride, to the point where in the off-season we listen to the Linus & Lucy song that they play on it that he calls “horses”. I hope it’s not gone

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikejenkins1 said:

so what is up with the kiddie carousel ride?  

Is it coming back?

1 hour ago, ucgrady said:

My son is obsessed with this ride, to the point where in the off-season we listen to the Linus & Lucy song that they play on it that he calls “horses”. I hope it’s not gone

I believe the park announced awhile back it is just undergoing annual maintineance. 

• Like 6

On 2/28/2024 at 12:36 AM, Kenban said:

I suspect Vekoma built a no earlier than date into the contract.  Basically Soap Box Racers cannot open for media or guests before X date.  The ride might be cycling, completely ready, and still not be allowed to open.

My main question is if lets say Good Gravy and Soapbox Racers were to open the same weekend (May 4th weekend), If Holiday World were to hold a media day for Good Gravy on Thursday the 2nd and KI did one for Soapbox on Friday the 3rd, would that count as opening first?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

USA Today released its list of the 2024 most anticipated new roller coasters. Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers is not one of them. STORY: https://shorturl.at/cjpG0

Should we be surprised?  

Too many variables stacked against it.

• Shorter than Good Gravy.
  • Supposed contract clause not allowing it to open before Good Gravy.
  • To many people it is a smaller Good Gravy.
  • Good Gravy has a better story line.
  • Marketing for it is late and seems to always be playing catch-up.

But still, even with better marketing, would this have made a most anticipated ride list given its stats and with Good Gravy opening same year?

Further, all the anticipated rides on the list are either labeled in the article as a first of that kind in the US or first at that park or sets a record.  Snoopy doesn't do any of those.

Interesting that Six Flags has 3 on the list compared to 2 for CF...

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Should we be surprised?  

Too many variables stacked against it.

• Shorter than Good Gravy by over half (1,500 feet compared to 673 feet).
  • Supposed contract clause not allowing it to open before Good Gravy.
  • To many people it is a smaller Good Gravy.
  • Good Gravy has a better story line.
  • Marketing for it is late and seems to always be playing catch-up.

But still, even with better marketing, would this have made a most anticipated ride list given its stats and with Good Gravy opening same year?

Further, all the anticipated rides on the list are either labeled in the article as a first of that kind in the US or first at that park or sets a record.  Snoopy doesn't do any of those.

Interesting that Six Flags has 3 on the list compared to 2 for CF... 

But I can tell you one thing that we can actually be great about, Madhouse possibility.

11 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

USA Today released its list of the 2024 most anticipated new roller coasters. Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers is not one of them. STORY: https://shorturl.at/cjpG0

Where has been the buildup from the park about SSBR? The focus has been Camp Snoopy as a whole and oh BTW, there is a coaster as well.  

The story should have been a new coaster in the new Camp Snoopy. Not the other way around. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Shorter than Good Gravy by over half (1,500 feet compared to 673 feet).

You compared SSBR's track length to Good Gravy's total ride length (factoring that it traverses the layout twice since it's a boomerang). If you look at SSBR on Kings Island's website, it says it traverses around 1400ft of track. Granted SSBR is still shorter, it's only a difference of about 100ft or so of track.

• Like 5

RCDB shows Good Gravy as being 721 feet, and under notes it says the distance traveled is "nearly 1,500" feet, and Good Gravy is a custom design while SSBR is the "208m Rebound" catalog model.

So, slightly shorter, and a stock design instead of custom, but ultimately for parks like Holiday World such a ride has to serve the role of a major attraction, rather than a "this is part of a kids area project" attraction.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

You compared SSBR's track length to Good Gravy's total ride length (factoring that it traverses the layout twice since it's a boomerang). If you look at SSBR on Kings Island's website, it says it traverses around 1400ft of track. Granted SSBR is still shorter, it's only a difference of about 100ft or so of track.

2 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

RCDB shows Good Gravy as being 721 feet, and under notes it says the distance traveled is "nearly 1,500" feet, and Good Gravy is a custom design while SSBR is the "208m Rebound" catalog model.

So, slightly shorter, and a stock design instead of custom, but ultimately for parks like Holiday World such a ride has to serve the role of a major attraction, rather than a "this is part of a kids area project" attraction.

Good catch.  See even the way they marketed the ride makes it seem way shorter LOL. 

And good catch on it being a stock catalog design.  Another reason to not be overly excited.

I have no problems with it being a stock design. Cedar Point's new Zamperla spinning mouse is one of the stock designs, and meanwhile across Planet Snoopy you've got Woodstock Express and there are countless instances and variations of that old PTC figure-8 junior coaster layout.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I have no problems with it being a stock design. Cedar Point's new Zamperla spinning mouse is one of the stock designs, and meanwhile across Planet Snoopy you've got Woodstock Express and there are countless instances and variations of that old PTC figure-8 junior coaster layout.

I don't have a problem with it either, but then I wouldn't expect it to be a highly anticipated ride on a top 10 list of most anticipated new rides either....doesn't mean it isn't a good addition to the park.

I don't recall Sol Spin/Cargo Loco making any anticipated new rides for 2023 either...but it was still a good addition to the park...

• Like 4

Yeah, agreed. It's a family coaster, and while that is a wonderful, necessary addition to the park, it's more along the lines of routine additions than it is some marquee attraction. It would honestly be bizarre if it were highly-anticipated, in my opinion. HW's is more notable at least in part because it's their first family coaster.

• Like 2

Gotta admit I have been more anticipating "Camp Snoopy" than SSBR.  Not sure if it's the park's problem with marketing or just me.  I thought what they did with Adventure Port was great and wanted more upgrades like that around the park.

Then I started thinking "Would I really know about a new coaster at KI, if I wasn't reading KIC posts everyday"?  Not sure.

• Like 2

I think they are right by going with the Camp Snoopy push as the main thing, they want to retake the Golden Ticket Award back, and you don’t do that just by talking about a new coaster, it needs to be them talking about expanding Planet Snoopy, and that’s what they’re doing. It would be nice to see a Peanuts Pirate ride added someday, it’s popular at Carowinds. 

• Like 5